Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Using stock tank for garden ... Advice?

A friend gave us a 21" high 3' round practically new stock tank for a pond or garden container. She bought it for a pond, but raccoons tore up some other fish ponds she had so she is giving up the idea of having ponds.

I'd LOVE to use it for a pond, but there are raccoons in the vicinity so I guess that's out -- even if we don't keep fish in it. What do you think? Is there any way to keep raccoons out?

Two more questions: the site below says to cover the inside with heavy black plastic to keep zinc from leaching into the soil if it is used for plants. That is something that I hadn't considered. Do you all agree? Of course we'll drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

Another question: I've already been warned that the metal will heat up in the sun and bake the plants in a small container. Would three ft. diamenter be considered a small container? If so how would one insulate it without spending a ton of money on bricks or stones?

Maybe I should put it in the shade for a bog garden. What are Interest plants to use for a bog garden? If used for that how much drainage capability needs to be provided? I has a drain connection on the side already.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on these ideas. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a stock tank for garden ...

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH