Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using stock tank for garden ... Advice?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 22:15

A friend gave us a 21" high 3' round practically new stock tank for a pond or garden container. She bought it for a pond, but raccoons tore up some other fish ponds she had so she is giving up the idea of having ponds.

I'd LOVE to use it for a pond, but there are raccoons in the vicinity so I guess that's out -- even if we don't keep fish in it. What do you think? Is there any way to keep raccoons out?

Two more questions: the site below says to cover the inside with heavy black plastic to keep zinc from leaching into the soil if it is used for plants. That is something that I hadn't considered. Do you all agree? Of course we'll drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

Another question: I've already been warned that the metal will heat up in the sun and bake the plants in a small container. Would three ft. diamenter be considered a small container? If so how would one insulate it without spending a ton of money on bricks or stones?

Maybe I should put it in the shade for a bog garden. What are Interest plants to use for a bog garden? If used for that how much drainage capability needs to be provided? I has a drain connection on the side already.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on these ideas. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a stock tank for garden ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using stock tank for garden ... Advice?

Roselee,
I think your tank would make a wonderful bog garden. If you turned it into a pond, even without fish, you'd have to treat for mosquitoes, keep thirsty predators (possums, 'coons, skunks, etc.) away and invest in a recirculating pump. As a flower or vegetable garden, you have listed the problem--heat! It might work as a coldframe, since it would heat up the soil in it, but that's really very seasonal.
There is a bog garden forum here at GW. You might want to check it out to see about interesting plants and techniques.

o

I grow a lot of taro in boggy conditions. Louisiana Iris, Lizard's tail (Saururus cernuus), Texas Star Hibiscus and a couple different spider lilies (Crinum pedunculatum and an unidentified hymenocallis) have done really well in boggy conditions for me.

Pam

o

Thank you Marlingardener and Pam for your replies. Here is a picture of the stock tank to give you an idea of the size. It wouldn't necessarily stay in this exact spot, but I was so wanting to use it to grow squash or something like that in it. But if y'all think the soil will get too hot in the sun I'll have to move it to a shady spot under the trees for ornamentals of some kind.

Is there anyone here that uses a stock tank for a raised garden of any type?

o

I love that tank, but don't know about the heat factor.

o

Thanks for your comments and others that have come by email ... "I'm thinking, I'm thinking" << some of you may remember the old Jack Benny joke ... :-)

o

In any of you are thinking of using a stock tank for gardening I thought you might be interested in what members of the Container Forum had to say.

By the way, they have some great posts on there. For one I had never heard of rat tail radishes before, plus all the great posts on soil and fertilization for containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Forum: Using stock for veggie garden?

o

Roselee, you have been busy in the back haven't you girl?
That is a great tank. We are just about as rural as you can get and we have all kinds of critters, day and night and we have never had the raccoons, possums, owls, hawks, herons, etc
try to get our fish and we have to give away lots of babies every year.
I remember Jack Benny well, LMBO

Whatever you decide to do, it will be wonderful and I am sure it will be very colorful and/or delicious, LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here