Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Bird ID, Please

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 22:51

This bird came to my feeder today and I have never had a sighting of this type of bird. At first I thought it was a goldfinch, but then realized the head was red, so that stumped me. This is not a very good photo, but can someone attempt an ID?
thanks, Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Bird ID, Please

I think it's a house finch. I've seen a few of them watering at my bird bath. A clinic I visited had a bird feeder attached to a window and a lot of house finches happened to be feeding the day I was there. It certainly took patients minds off their problems!

Here is a link that might be useful: All about house finches. Be sure and listen to their song :-) ...

o

Yes, Roselee that is what our visitors are! Thank you so much for the ID. I need to invest in a new pair of binoculars because the ones I have are not suited for close up bird watching in my yard and I bet I have some really unusual visitors that I don't notice with my poor old eyes.
Molly

o

Molly, I bet you have more kinds of birds than you realize, too.. When I had knee replacement surgery in late August three years ago I spent a lot of time in a recliner that faced the bird bath, I kept noticing unusual (for me) birds visiting so I kept binoculars and a bird ID book close by. I was very surprised at the number of various bird species migrating through that I had never noticed before.

o

Molly, I have both the purple and the house finch, and the only way I can tell them apart is by the shape of their tails................the purple finch is strongly notched, and the house finch is straight. Of course, they don't always accomodate us by sitting where we can make this distinction, do they???

o

Thank you Carrie, for pointing out the difference in a house finch and a purple finch..Just now spotted a male house finch at my bird bath. Got a good view of him with the binoculars so I'm pretty sure there was no notch in the tail.

o

My most frequent visitors are the house finch.

o

I meant to ask if these finches are year-round visitors to the feeders?
Molly

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 16:29

We see these finches off and on at our feeders, but I haven't noticed if it's year round. Maybe I'll start writing down when we see them.
I got some good pictures of one this morning that I wanted to post on facebook, but can't get them downloaded. It must be my cord.

o

I have them year round, Molly,,,,,,,,,,,,,sometimes there will be an abundance of them and other years just a few. I have no idea the reasoning behind this.

o

I've since seen several around the yard and have heard their song anytime I'm outside. There must be some sort of flock movement/migration going on even if it is not long distance.

o

House finches migrate through the area. I've seen a couple, but not this year. But I am seeing some of the usual migrants right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here