Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DFW-area source for organic fertilizers

Posted by dah328 none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 22:56

I'm trying organic care for my lawn and was wondering if anyone had any good sources in the DFW area for protein-based animal feed suitable for organic fertilizing. I've looked around and the only stuff I've been able to find is corn gluten meal that was repackaged, branded as "organic fertilizer", and jacked up in price ($35 for 30lb). I was hoping to find a suitable animal feed that was more like $10-15 for a 50lb bag.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DFW-area source for organic fertilizers

I got 50 lbs. cotton seed meal from Russell Feed & Supply in Haltom City for about eight bucks. Any feed store should have something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

I just purchased alfalfa pellets for lawn fertilizer $12/20# at a feed store in Farmersville (east of McKinney/Princeton). It's a drive, but there are places to buy organic feed. Plan a day trip to any farm area around DFW and you should find what you're looking for. Heading south is probably better than north but I was in Blue Ridge for a family function, so it was convenient. Probably overpaid a bit but still better than big box/local Dallas prices.

I also purchase compost from Soil Building Systems in Dallas. Website is http://soilbuildingsystems.com/. They may have organic fertilizers too.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look for regular feed stores and I do live closer to South Dallas than the northern suburbs, but all the feed stores I found had either closed permanently or had become yuppie pet stores.

I did get my compost from Soil Building Systems. Getting enough compost for my 6,000sq ft lawn was not cheap, but it's already looking better so I'm hoping it was worth it.

o

We have a wonderful feed store in Waxahachie - I don't know how far you are from there. I work in Dallas every day and the 30 minute trip doesn't seem very long to me. Just look at boycefeed.com. This is where I get alfalfa, composted chicken manure, etc.

o

Check with Elliot's Hardware if they're convenient to you. I picked up greensand last season at their Plano store and found they had a good offering of other organics at similar or lower prices than the closer in feedstores I've used. They've had an ownership change, so they may not stock them this year or at all 3 stores.

o

When I lived in Midlothian for 7 years, I often go to Boyce Feed in Waxahachie off College street (I think, it's not far from downtown Waxahachie.

o

Marshalls Grain and Feed in Grapevine, there's another store in Plano I go to, the name escapes me right now.. its something "Brothers " .. they have cheap alfalfa cubes and cottonseed meal.

I

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here