Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1234carlos

Amaranth seeds

Carlos
10 years ago

Any of you guys know where I can get some amaranth seed?

Thanks for your answers

Comments (17)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Is there any particular variety that you're looking for? There's lots of different varieties (also called 'celosia') which are for ornamental use, and edible types for use as greens, or the grain variety from which we get quinoa, although I think I read the grain producing variety needs a cool climate to grow well.

I grow 'Amaranth Hopi red' as an ornamental. I didn't know until reading the link below that it is used as red dye by Hopi Native Americans. I also grow 'Celosia pink famingo feather'.

Has anyone here used amaranth for greens in salads or cooked?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of varieties sold here ...

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I grow it also, but it reseeds so readily in my garden, I do not save seed. Don't know where you live, but you might try posting in exchanges to see if someone has seed to share with you. Otherwise, I see them in the racks of seeds in many of the big box stores.

• Carlos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help. For some reason Google did not find them for me.
    I will go with "rareseeds.com"
    By the way. I read that quinua prefers cold weather while amaranth grows better in hot one.
    Am I correct?
    I live in Austin

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The two varieties of amaranths that I grow LOVE hot weather! I'll check my seed stash later today to see if I have any seeds. They reseed readily as Carrie says, but sometimes I save a few to pass around.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

carlos, I have Hopi Red Dye seeds if you are still looking.
    And yes, it reseeds everywhere.
    roselee, my daughter cooks some occasionally.
    The leaves turn green when cooked and she said it taste similar to spinach.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

This is the best source for seeds I know of, they sell 15 different varieties for $2.95 /pack.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://shop.nativeseeds.org/pages/seeds

• Carlos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guys:
    Thanks again for your help and offers.
    I was looking for "red burgundy" but being a first timer any one will be greatly appreciated.

My address is:

Carlos Corral
    11400 Hidden Quail Dr.
    Austin, TX 78758

Should I send you a SASE?

• weldontx
    10 years ago

Saw the question in an earlier post and am very interested in the answer "Does anyone use amaranth as greens or in salads?"
    I grow my own greens- chard, kale, mustard, turnip-- and would like to know how the amaranth leaves are prepared....likewise, the seeds btw, get my seeds from Baker Creek-- rareseeds.com

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Weldon, I love greens and always have a few growing, but I've never tried eating amaranth after reading online that it wasn't all that great. But maybe I'm missing something. They are certainly easy to grow -- that's for sure! Hopefully, someone here has tried it and will give some feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tempted now to give them a try next summer ....

• DirtandYarn
    10 years ago

Quinoa and amaranth are two different plants and amaranth seeds are not the same as quinoa, though they are used similarily. I hope to grow amaranth this year for the first time. You'll find that one type is specialized for large seed, another for more tender leaves. Though the ornamental types are edible too, I'd imagine it would be like eating ornamental cabbages. Yes, you can eat it, but do you want to? I plan to buy from Bountiful Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bountiful Gardens

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

You're riight DirtandYam, ornamental kale is too pretty to eat, but sometimes it's all I can find for sale to plant so I do .... :-) Same with the pretty colored Swiss chard.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Carlos, if "red burgundy" is what you really want, I would hold out for that one. Once you plant Hopi Red Dye it will be coming up everywhere and you won't be able to tell which ones to pull out unless you plant them in a totally different area. At least that's what happens when I try planting a different kind.
    I saw that Seeds of Change has Burgundy seeds.

• weldontx
    10 years ago

Thanks Ruth. I may just have to try to grow a little of this one.
    How drought resistant is amaranth?

Weldon

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Weldon, It comes up all over my flower bed which gets watered at least twice a week. I'm sure it would be fine as long it gets some water.
    I haven't tried it, but my daughter occasionally eats it cooked. She prepares it like spinach.

• burntplants
    10 years ago

When I lived in Austin, the decorative amaranth "Love-lies-bleeding" did great without any care or supplimental watering. It was planted in a raised bed with nive soil. The vegetable types should do as well.
    For amaranth seeds check out seeds of change & southern exposure seed exchange.

• Carlos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got four different varieties of amaranth seeds from a very nice lady (M. N.) Thank you a lot.
    Good manners dictate I should send you a personal thank you note. But while I was absorbed contemplating the seeds, a pair of two years-old mischievous girls grab the envelope. I found it happily swimming in the bath tub. The return address was unreadable.
    I apologize for being unable to thank you in a proper manner. I hope you see this post.
    Carlos

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that you received the envie as I said I shared half of what I have , I hope the seeds are ok. and you are welcome . I am almost your neighbor 56 miles down the road from you.Welcome to Gardenweb marcie-new