Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

what have you ....

cynthianovak
12 years ago

planted in the ground or drug out into the world?

I've planted 'taters, spinach and chard. Already had arugula, kale and parsley flat and curled.

Drug out a lemon tree, a brug and a 'mater in a pot.

what about you?

c

Comments (16)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Still cleaning out the beds and yard, Cynthina.......maybe I can answer next week.

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I drug all my potted plants out LAST WEEK!!! I know it was risky, but I'm only risking more work. I just have to watch the forecast carefully. I planted daylilies and caladium bulbs too. Not worried about the daylilies, but I am concerned about the caladiums a little. Springtime in February! Love it!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I have made over 200 lbs of plumeria mix, put in a new asparagus bed. Moved all my brugmansia, iochroma,vines and tropical hibiscus out of the garage, and planted back in the yard. trimmed back my bouganvilla and oleanders. Also put down all the organic fertilizer on the lawn.

Spring Break week will be my busy week, I will replant 36 plumeria and 12 desert roses back in the yard. I will also plant all my new plants and seeds, that I ordered from ebay and catalogs, they should be mailed out today. I have already taken potting soil, 4 bottles of superthrive, and 2 large bags of slow release fertilzer so I can plant the new plants. The wal-mart in Rockport is always sold out.I am ready for spring to get here. Maybe I will have some time to clean out the rest of the flowerbeds, I have already done 4. Barbra

• random_harvest
    12 years ago

Pulled out the pansies, put in the petunias.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I didn't take my own advice and pulled stuff out of the greenhouse yesterday. You are not alone Lynnmarie! :-) I trimmed back the bougies so I figure I can throw a blanket over them if it freezes. In the meantime I'm moving, fertilzing, and planting. These early spring days are wonderful. With all the moist perfect weather the first rose blooms are HUGE. I know the weather won't last forever, but I'm enjoying it while it's here. Thank you Mother Nature!

Barbra, your yard is beautiful already, but with all you're doing it is going to be off the chart gorgeous this year!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

The peas I planted should have been up by now.. I've given up on them. They were really old seeds and we probably planted them too deep. (hubby was grudgingly helping and he really didn't care ...)

I've pulled all potted plants out to the driveway, and most all the indoor plants are outside now. Still have the brug cuttings to pot up and all the plumeria to plant.

The whole back yard, beds and lawn has compost and molasses
    spread. I've cut back everything except the lantana and roses.
    I still need to get in there and pull some more weeds and move some flagstone around.

Here's the list of seeds I've winter sown. Some have sprouted some I'm still waiting on...most of the seeds are 10 yrs old so I don't expect them all to sprout. I've been saving them for who knows what? I decided this year I was going to get most if not all of them sown and planted out.

Lettuce, Spinach Swiss chard, 3 kinds of columbine
    Lobelia , Forget me not, Wild flax, Johnny jump up
    Carrie�s Oct Rose , Parsley Denver�s Hibiscus, Canterbury Bells, Dianthus Ideal magical mix , Dame�s Rocket
    Penstemon Elect Blue, Giant Scobiosa , Foxglove strawberry
    Penstemon hybrid mixed colors, Bell flower , Red hot poker, Echinacea
    holly hock summer carnival yellow, Maltese Cross, Dbl white holly hock, perennial holly hock, Snow in summer, blanket flower, Esperanza, swamp mallow butterfly weed, rudbeckia , Gerbera, TX star hibiscus, dill, oregano , parsley flat, parsley curly, stock, persian corn flower, common thyme

Cream Sausage tomato
    Extreme Blush tomato
    Mariann�s peace tomato
    Kosovo oxheart tomato
    Cardinal tomato
    Black from tula tomato
    Roma vf tomato

Still have tons more seeds to sow yet. This is going to be my Laura Bush Petunia year. :)

Hubby went to Sam's on Sunday and brought me back tons of summer flowering bulbs, elephant ear bulbs and some more hasta. He also picked up some clematis --I need to get some trellis for them.

There are some seedlings out there I need to dig up and pot for our plant swap.

Phew.. I'll be working on this stuff non stop until June!
    After last year I decided everything must be in the ground come first of June.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Good news for all of you who have pulled plants out early.....I think Spring may have sprung.......saw baby snakes when I was raking leaves today, and my Louisiana phlox are beginning to bloom. Bring it on !!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Carrie, my pet back yard box turtles are out of hibernation and moving around also. Incidentally, NewScientist's recent cover story was about how turtles and other reptiles have higher intelligence than previously thought. They had always been tested in air conditioned labs and being cold blooded they perform better in warmer environments. Turtles did better than rats in figuring how to find food in a maze. Aren't 'chall glad to know that ;-)

Melvalena, I'm tired enough already. Reading all the stuff you're doing makes me even tireder

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Roselee, You do understand I have been in this house for almost 3 years just waiting for the new beds and drainage to be fixed. Last year was off to a good start but then the late hail storm (in June) wiped everything out-- it killed planted in the ground cannas for crying out loud!!
    Then the intense heat and drought through the rest of the summer pretty much ruined a whole growing season for me. :( I guess I'm making up for that lost season.

After reading that post I can see why I suddenly need a nap nearly every day!

I'll be sure to take lots of photos between iced tea breaks once I get to start planting things out.

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

Melva, you have me exhausted already! That's a LOT!

I've gotten the front yard mostly cleared of henbit and other weeds, so they won't go to seed this time. Still need to put down the preemergent, that's Saturday. I've planted a few more bluebonnets in the front, I'd love to eventually have it covered in bluebonnets every spring!

I've gotten my tomatoes, hot peppers, and basil into their first set of pots. Still have seed potatoes to put out (need to get containers first!) and a bunch of seeds (cosmos, dill, fennel, radish (again, tomorrow!), okra, cucumber, probably a couple others that I'm forgetting!) that I'm waiting for a bit warmer weather to start as there's no room in the greenhouse for them in pots. My mint, oregano, marjoram, sage, and catnip are on the driveway with the veggies...waiting to be drug back into the garage if needed.

Other than that, I'm waiting. I'd rather leave the door to the greenhouse open than empty it only to refill it. And I don't want to trim back the plants only to lose parts to a "late" freeze. I still have some green on my salvias and turk's cap! I want to see how much I can keep.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Carrie still runs circles around me in the getting stuff done department!
    She's my inspiration to keep going. When I first laid eyes on her place I was blown away.. I was asking myself why I couldn't do something like that and she told me I could if I spent 10 hrs a day everyday on it! :)

I'm no where near doing that, but I do try to do a little something everyday out there, even if its just to walk around and pull one weed. :)

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

Melva, I agree! If I didn't have to work, AND had the money, things would be different around here. Unfortunately, the times I haven't had to work have coincided with me being unemployed...and since I'm single, that means no money.

I do the best I can with what I have. So I'm slowly landscaping the front yard so that I don't have to tend to it every week and trying to figure out what to do with the backyard to so I don't have to deal with it on a weekly basis. The front yard's smaller and full East sun so it's easier to deal with/accommodate. The backyard's partly shade and west-facing and larger, which makes it more difficult.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Melva, Carrie's comment makes me think of a decorative stepping stone someone gave me. It says:

"A Beautiful Garden is a Gift"

Every time I look at it I think "Ha! A Beautiful Garden is a LOT of Work!" Let them put that on a plaque :-) However, it's work that I totally enjoy, but it doesn't come easy.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

You know, I am almost through with the cleaning out of the beds, maybe another day's worth of work will take care of it. So yesterday and today were mostly spent mowing. I got all the dead grass off and it's still pretty green underneath. Started to mow my asparagus patch, but had to pick first....oh, how good this first mess is. Now, to get the garden ready as I plan to plant next week...........I thnk it is warm enough to germinate the seeds in time for an early garden this year.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! That is a lotta work y'all are doing. I'm trying to keep the pansies alive a little while longer. I planted 2000 tulips again this year and these 80 degree days are hard on them.

Today I was looking at the carton of zinnia seeds I saved longingly...until I realized they go were the tulips are by the street now. Stopped that longing real fast....grins.

If any of you are on Facebook, search my name and you'll find an album devoted to the tulips right now. If you are anywhere near Arlington, come on by. I'm on Western Blvd...a very short street...can't miss the tulips if you get here.

cheers
    c

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have my Winter/Spring garden going all winter. Snap pears are 3' high still no buds. i am getting impatient. My mizuna and tat soy are bolting along with my arugala. it is time to start pulling. I have a hard time doing that. I can't eat it all. Into the compost it goes. I need the space. Today, I planted 4 tomatoes, 4 types of squash and 4 types of string beens. some amaranth. My winter garden has carrots, beets, a multitude of different lettuces, 2 or three spinaches, chervil , cilantro , itallian parsley, chinese cabbage, Japanese purple mustard, Dinosaur kale, Siberian kale, turnips , Thai rat tailed radish, white Fordhook Giant and Rhubarb chard. I planted more beets, carrots and mustard, and got 3 types of potatoes in. This is in a 20 x 16' area. I dare a weed to grow!!! I need to pull some more plants to plant cucumbers. I am jumping the gun . I will need to protect some plants this weekend but I think we will be warmer than normal so I feel good about disobeying the aggie calendar.

I am also starting the repotting into larger pots. i bought some coir, perlite and gravel for my cacti. I moved f cacti. I moved the 6 ' Oxypetalum off the metal cabinet and that fell out in the process so I re potted that and got it in its summer spot.

The windflowers, blackfoot daisy and 4 nerve daisies are blooming.

Slowly many things are being put aside for the swap. I repotted a Epiphylum strictum. I got it in a swap and it was about 20 plants in a small hanging pot. It never bloomed much. I got it down to three plants . I hope its happier. I have 4 pots of 3 or 4 plants in each for the swap.

Oh I put a coat of varnish on 16' of doorway and ran my husband in so his van could get worked on. LONG DAY. Tomorrow, back to work...for money. LOL