Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Did you see the temps?

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Brrr, where did this cold come from. I hope they revise the temps up tomorrow or I will need to drag my big brug and bougies back into the greenhouse...and drag big pots of kumquats around the side of the house.

c

Comments (30)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. We are forcasted for 30 Monday night ! Yikes, I have some plants to move. Maybe if I blink, they will go away.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Yep, Cynthia, MN isn't through with us yet............I am certain I will have two mornings of a light freeze, but I haven't moved things out as yet so all I have to do is turn the heater in the greenhouse on. Hopefully, this will be our Easter snap and we can get on with gardening "our way" after this.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carrie
    I read the temps and could hear you and others in the back of my mind saying, yes there is still more cold likely...even though the 10 day forecasts said it wasn't so until yesterday.

Hmmm, someone here advised to wait for the pecan trees to start to leaf out. That would have been wise.

I hope it holds at 33, where I live, we usually stay a few degrees higher than the projected low. But if they drop it to 31 I'm hauling things around....again
    cheers
    c

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The Pecan and mesquite have leafed out here and Weare projected to slip to 30.

• Hilary McDaniel
    11 years ago

Us too. Our mesquites leafed out last week. The pecans just broke bud. We have a garden loaded with blooms and fruit. I'm sick we'll lose it all. Why is Mother Nature so cruel? If its not freeze, then it's terrible drought or flash flood,hail, or hurendous high winds. Then in the summer we deal with nasty grasshoppers very hot temps, no cool air til fall, wind that feels like a furnace. Ahhhhhh, welcome to paradise. Well, we bloom where we are planted. Even in this diversity, it's still better than the poor folks up north that have 9 months of shoveling snow. Augh! That can't be fun. Lets just pray we don't stay at freezing very long. An hour or so won't play havoc, but we do have 2 nights of it to get through. I'll bet next week we will be begging for cool again. I'm so not ready for the summer heat in the early spring.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I'm going to have to remember to cover my tomatoes & peppers, and hope that works. And if planting them this early doesn't result in an increased yield like the guy at NHG told me, I'm going back to planting them in pots 1st.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

I have always used Easter weekend as last real cold spell.
    We used to spend Easter weekend at our cabin at Possum Kingdom. Sunrise service was either in shorts and a t or full polar fleece! Come on spring.

Misti..aka plantlady

This post was edited by mistigardens on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 13:00

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

There is now an official freeze warning for all of north and central TX for tonight and tomorrow night.

:-(

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Sorry about the freeze coming for some parts of Texas, especially after all the warm weather you've enjoyed. Looks like San Antonio and Austin are being spared. High 30's predicted for S. A. tonight and 35 for Austin. Just a degree or two lower is predicted for Monday night. It's not too pleasant outside right now; 61 and sunny, but wind gusts up to 25 mph..

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

I noticed that this morning was rather chilly. I never even checked weather forecast. I walked out of the door this morning for a walk with my dog in shorts and t-shirt and had to walk back in and put on sweatpant and jacket... That's in Spicewood. Everything are growing now. Some of trees have already grown half foot already.

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

You know you're a tomato nerd when you take perfectly good blankets from the house and wrap your little babies. That would be me this afternoon. I had planted half of mine, but held back the rest not knowing what MN would have in store for us. Pulled in my citrus trees to the covered porch too.

Luckily here in DFW it's only forecast for very light frost. Besides the 'maters and citrus, everything else is going to have to buck up and deal with it. :)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

It is 28 at my house this morning with a thin layer of ice on the bird baths..............hopefully, won't stay at the freezing mark long.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

Got to 33ð in my backyard in Mesquite this morning, but it is supposed to be even colder tonight. I will cover everything tonight. Ugh.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

33 here west of Austin.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Crepe myrtle icicles on the north side of the house and mid-30s on the south side where the pool equipment is located. Strange first week of spring - with more of the same expected tonight near Addison.

This post was edited by bostedo on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 12:38

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Negative Arctic Oscillation has the Beauford Gyre rotating madly and Breaking up, and strong storms racing around pushing arctic air into the mid latitudes all over the globe. -30C in germany , - 15C in England storms . It is 9 degrees warmer than normal up there on top of the world. This might all be the effect of the Barrycentric Wobble of the sun that happens once every 187 years. How about that for the big picture. LOL. It could just be a bunch of un related factoids too. Stay warm.

• Romani
    11 years ago

It pissed me off so much seeing temperatures almost 90 a couple of weeks ago then this!.
    I had to drag back in ALL of my tender plants back into the bedroom.
    Maybe this will end ever so soon!

• nialialea
    11 years ago

My dearest husband braved the cold last night to rescue a bucket of bareroot roses I left out.

I came downstairs this morning to find every single pot from outside in my kitchen. Including two giant blueberry bushes.

But not the bucket of roses, which he apparently forgot!

Made me smile to see all those blueberry flowers this morning. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

We had 27F low accross the street at one weather station in a hollow and 37 as a low , high on the east side of the hill. I have no idea what I was. My thermomiter decided to take a vacation. It was blank.

• Claudia2001
    11 years ago

It got to 24 where I live. I covered the garden, did the lights and the cold still killed my garden. :(

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

Lost three 'maters. I learned that those Christmas lights are apparently the cool LED kind. Didn't help the 'maters at all.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Don't know how cold it really got near my brothers house but the tomatoes were fine and I didn't lose one plant to wilt.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Some of the new leaves on a hydrangea were wilty but so far everything looks pretty good. For once, my procrastination about moving the tropicals out has paid off :-)

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lost report...not too bad.

Lost new leaves on my new Black Tulip tree, lost he new surviving growth on an own root lemon tree that rats had stripped this winter, lost leaves on brugs and some boogies, but managed to cover the big lemon tree and smaller ones. Lost two newly planted little peppers right next to others that weren't phased. I did manage to strain muscled dragging the bigger pots into a little "grove" protected from the west wind.

The forecast for the next 10 days looks good...but I think I've said that twice before.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

30 in Conroe this morning and only 55 for a high on the island yesterday.

The big pecan tree has not shown any signs of life yet but the smalller ones have been in full leaf for a month. Everything else is up and blooming. The pecan tree rarely fails in weather prediction.

Back to the upper 80`s next week.
    Tally HO!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

My low this week was 25 on Tuesday morning. I had put gallons of water next to my in-ground tomato plants, and put lights down the center. Up on a frame I had frost cloth and sheets (2 layers).

The lowest it got in there was 39. Yippee - I don't have to replant!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I think someone may have lost their job ;-)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

He was never an employee of mine anyway, Roselee..........LOL>

• 200mfromocean
    11 years ago

I find the noaa.gov to be a little more accurate indicator. All the pundits were an atmosphere away from their predictions. Seemed like kind of a ploy to get the blankets and protection out of inventory, and or watch the news more. Lol

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I was in Home Depot when it was in the 90's and they apparently follow noaa.gov as they had the frost blankets out, on sale, and a note saying "IT CAN FREEZE IN APRIL!". I bought 3 but luckily didn't have to cover anything.
    Not in a big hurry for the 100's and hoping spring rains show up this year.
    Tally HO!