Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
endless summer

Posted by greybird z7 TX (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 1:04

99 degrees predicted for Sunday in Vernon. Exceptional drought without end. There has to be somewhere better than here.
I can see why many early settlers packed up the wagon and left their claims. They just couldn't take it anymore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: endless summer

WOW. :(

o

I am so sorry to hear that Vernon got no relief from the drought this winter. But what can you do but hang in there and enjoy what you can. I'm hoping and praying you and other drought stricken areas see some better days soon.

For my yard I'm keeping my order in at a couple of thrift stores for beach umbrellas to shade the roses if needed again this summer.

o

I'm trying to keep my chin up, but it keeps dropping down again.

It is weird that last year, it was 102 on the first Sunday in April with high winds.

Looks like a repeat performance.

o

Sorry to hear the drought is still hanging on where you are.

To cheer you up, check out the NOAA current drought conditions across the country with the following link:

http://www.droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

It shows that you are probably in the extreme to exceptional drought, but in a rather small pocket when compared to further west in Texas and the SE corner of NM.

Another graphic linked below, the drought forecast, shows that you are right on the line between "some improvement" and "likely to improve". That would be good news if it comes true, right?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

o

"Some inprovement" and "likely to improve" is wonderful news!!!!! We have been seeing only "persist or intensify" for sooooo long.

I don't know how everyone else handled last summer, but it had a profound effect on me. Sort of a post traumatic effect. The weather channel makes me go off on tirades. My husband is praying that this drought might lessen, I am about to drive him nuts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here