Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Tomatoes are going in

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Hi All
I'll plant my transplants in big pots tomorrow. Have y'all planted yet?

Comments (17)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Mine are still in the cold frame with the peppers. We are almost there!

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I don't feel so bad now, mine are waiting on me to get the bed ready. I was told by someone at Northaven Gardens that they need to be planted around March 1st, then protected from the cold. It seemed early to me.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

My brother and I will be planting large red cherry, tygress, Grande jumbo jalapeno and Aladdin bells this Sunday. Looking at the forecast long term I think were in the clear in San Antonio.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder if the North Haven folks were thinking of the heirlooms or big fruit tomatoes that take a long time. Mine have to go into pots because opossums will steal them from my raised bed. Next time I will make sure I do NOT put my veggie garden near a fence! Dog can guard the big pots in the middle of the yard.....

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I planted my tomatoes in our garden yesterday. I planted some heirloooms at the coast last Saturday, as well as some 444 and large cherry. HEB has herirloom tomatoes half of what they cost at the nursery. Barbra

• shopshops
    11 years ago

Planted mine yesterday. Trying black cherry and celebrity this year. I normally grow in ground, but had a lawn service last year and not too trusting of the chemicals they put in. So growing in pots this year. Wish me luck here in north Texas. Using special grow bags as pots.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Not sure, maybe, though. I only plant cherries, typically Sweet 100s, because I've NEVER had much luck from the larger tomatoes. Besides, I LOVE popping them into my mouth and eating them straight from the plant. :)

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

Half of mine going in Sunday ... the other half still growing on a bit more and to hedge my bets. Mine grow in a bit of a warmer microclimate and I'm not too worried. But obviously worried enough to hold a few back, LOL

Cynthia, the image of your dog guarding your 'maters, growling in the night at possums in the middle of the yard, is a funny one!

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

This weekend! The long winter had me wary of planting too soon.

• TexGal1
    11 years ago

Mine have been in the ground for almost 3 wks. I plant mine in a dryer drum buried in the ground, so they are as snug as a bug. We've had several freezes here since I planted them, but they sailed right thru. Some already have blooms!! Of course, I will pinch off the bottom leaves and keep adding dirt until the drum is much fuller.

My uncle, an old Kentucky farmer, says, "No, girl! You shouldn't have planted until Good Friday!" We'll see. Mine seem plenty happy. I've planted in the dryer drums several years, but never this early.

• GreenSerenity
    11 years ago

Hi there, new gardener & member here. This is my second year gardening and I decided to try tomatoes. I put my transplants in the ground a couple days before the average last frost day here and they went through some chilly night temps just fine. They seem to be growing well. I hedged my bet with one each of celebrity, better bush, early girl, and better boy.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

TexGal- Very cool idea. Doubt if I could manage to dig a hole big enough for a drum, but I think it's great. Natural Gardener did something like that a few years ago. They planted them in a pretty deep trench, added soil as they grew, and threw blankets over if it was cold. Let us know how it works.

GreenSerenity - Welcome! Lots of nice people and good information on here. Let us know how things go.

Lisa

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Lost last year's battle with the squirrels, so using veggie space to propagate perennials this round. Tried many deterrents with little success. Final measure was to place snap traps under a cedar shake beneath the plants. As the photo shows, the rascals were able to move the shake and trap one of the few remaining Beefsteaks..... I can still hear them laughing in the trees.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Love the picture. I bet they were laughing.

Kathy

• southofsa
    11 years ago

bostedo - That has to be a poster for the all time frustrated vegetable gardener. That was going to be a beautiful tomato.

The squirrels might not have been laughing though - they didn't get the tomato either.

Lisa

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Put some in a couple of weeks ago and have some heirlooms to put in next week when I am off. Got a couple of cherry tomatoes to put in pots on the back deck.
    Tally HO!

• amlyjo
    11 years ago

Hi all, New here. Putting in a container veggie garden just north of Austin. I'm using 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half. I have 10 halves and it's not nearly enough, but as this is my first in this location I will live with it.

My maters went in this past week. Tomatillos a couple weeks before that. I have 2 cherries, 2 Celebrity, and 2 San Marzano. I bought transplants because my seedlings weren't getting big enough fast enough and I was worried I wouldn't get fruit set before the heat.

Salsa here I come!