Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smdane05

Houston area plant swap?

smdane05
12 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if there were already any plant swaps in the works for the Houston area. If not, I am interested in coordinating one, but depends on interest. If you are interested, just leave a reply so I am able to get an idea of the number of people to plan for!

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Yes, I think thats a great idea. I would like to join.I live in Pearland.

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Rosenberg! Once I get an idea of interests I am going to either host it here or if there is a decent amount of people, maybe a park around here. I'm pretty excited!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I hope you get a large response as these are the best way for gardeners to meet, discuss and trade their plants. Good luck !!!

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Me too Carrie!

• copingwithclay
    12 years ago

On Saturday, March 10 at Caldwell Nursery (caldwellhort.com) in Rosenberg there will be a scion swap for grafting fruit growers. The Texas Rare Fruit Growers are hosting this annual event. Set up will start at 10 AM, and everything will be wrapped up by 2 PM. It is possible that some members will bring plants to give away also.You could email the main organizing guy, Jerry, at newflora@swbell.net.....There are lots of informal conversations about fruit being grown, which are working out well, which are a regret, etc.

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! The master gardeners is having a plant sale that same day too! I will look into it!

• waterjasmin
    12 years ago

Mercer plant swap is on April 28th, George Bush park plant swap May 12th, Galveston swap at Walter Hall park May 5th. Google for more info about these swaps. Let me know if you need more info. See you there.

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

George bush is the closest to me. Galveston and mercer are further than I would like to travel. Tha ks fir the info!

• smdane05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops typo...thanks for the info! The George bush swap is on mothers day weekend :(

• ckap
    12 years ago

Great idea,count me in.I live in Sugar Land.

• aladatrot
    12 years ago

I would love to come to the galveston swap, but I don't have plants to swap unless someone was interested in thornless cactus. I would love to purchase some new stuff to try out, is that possible?

Also, for those who think galveston is too far, I am reasonably certain that Walter hall park is located in galveston county, not galveston proper. It is on highway 3 near the towns of Webster and league city (think baybrook mall). Not so daunting a drive as galveston is.

Cheers
    M

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

i got a couple of fruit trees, one is citrus and one is a tropical fruit guava tree I'd like to swap out for other fruit trees.

let me know if anyone's interested?

• beachplant
    12 years ago

no, you can not buy plants at the swaps. Galveston COUNTY swap is on the mainland like stated, not on the island. It's much closer to Clear Lake then Galveston.
    Plants are required to enter the pavilion at the Galveston county swap.
    We do have a place for orphan plants and newbies are always welcome. Cuttings, seedlings, seeds, plant related items are all good to bring to trades.
    Mercer is a bit more relaxed and we also welcome newbies, no plants are needed to join us and most of us will be happy to share with new gardeners.
    I don't think Yadda is doing the Ft Bend swap this year but not sure.
    Tally HO!

• gretchensgarden
    12 years ago

I'm in Pearland and would love to try out a local swap. Count me in.