Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Calliandra eriophylla 'Fairy Duster'

ruthz
11 years ago

I bought a red Fairy Duster plant a couple of years ago.
I tried leaving it in a container one year, and last year I planted it inground. Only to repot it so I could bring it in for the winter. It hasn't done well either way.
Soon time to drag the pots out of the greenhouse and I'm trying to decide what to do with it this year.
If you grow this, please share your experience.
I love it and want to find the best spot to grow it.

This post was edited by ruthz on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 11:02

Comments (16)

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I have one that's been in the ground here for many years. There's been some degree of dieback in some years when it would get down into the teens (I'm up in the hills, so it gets colder here than nearby San Antonio), but it always came back in spring. Estimates on hardiness vary widely for this species. I've seen 0ð, 5ð or 15ð mentioned.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    10 years ago

I wonder if either of you two ladies would consider sharing some seeds from your plants? I live in midway between Waco and Austin and am looking for something that attracts the hummingbirds. Have you noticed whether this is one that attracts them?

Xtal

10 years ago

I wonder if either of you two ladies would consider sharing some seeds from your plants? I live in midway between Waco and Austin and am looking for something that attracts the hummingbirds. Have you noticed whether this is one that attracts them?

Xtal

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xtal, mine didn't survive winter.

10 years ago

Well, Ruthz, that you for letting me know that... and it looked like it was supposed to be such a good hummingbird plant.

Oh well...
    Xtal

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd like to get another one. I really liked it. I don't see them around here. I bought that one at Hill Country Gardens. I just need to figure out where I can grow it best next time.

10 years ago

Ruthz,

Sounds like looking for a microclimate in your yard might help. Since I'm farther south from you, maybe I'd have better luck with it. Thx for the resource for your purchase.

Xtal

10 years ago

Ruthz,

Sounds like looking for a microclimate in your yard might help. Since I'm farther south from you, maybe I'd have better luck with it. Thx for the resource for your purchase.

Xtal

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I bought one at the San Antonio Botanical Garden plant sale last fall. It's small, but has bloomed a lot, but no seeds yet.

• hummerbug
    10 years ago

Want to try Fairy Duster outside and not water it before winter to force it into dormancy..Here in DFW I find flame acanthus (acanthaceae) is the best hummer attractor. Put in small plant 9 yrs ago; now its 6' x 6' Needs serious pruning in late winter. Totally heat tolerant, loves sun When watered/rained on it blooms prolifically from late spring thru first frost. Turks Cap is another perennial bloomer which hummers love. My garden attracts ruby throat and black chinned hummers from July to October.

10 years ago

Hummerbug,

Thank you for reminding me. I had a Flame Acanthus and YES, the hummers darted in and out of it. Last time I saw it, it was about that big. Hmm, I'm thinking that maybe I can take some cuttings and get some started.

Thank you very much,
    Xtal

• hummerbug
    10 years ago

xtal:
    My flame acanthus literally grows like a weed. Always have too many volunteers to count and I'm always pulling them out like weeds. Let me know how many cuttings you want!!!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

The volunteers of flame acanthus are very easy to mail too. I wrap them in a but of dirt papertowel and a saran wrap and taped at the "neck".

I find Salvia regla a huge hummer attractor in Spring and Fall. I think their bloom is timed for the influx of birds.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have the pink fairy duster and I find the flowers un impressive. It is very drought tolerant, having NEVER been water and being 12 years old. Maybe it would be more impressive if I watered it on occasion. It stays pretty low to the ground.

• hummerbug
    10 years ago

wantonomara --
    Thanks for mailing info on small flame acanthus. I have big woody stems that propagate easily. Thanks also for your observations on fairy duster. I was thinking of adding it to cactus garden. However, if you say blooms are unimpressive then maybe not. Already have salvia regla in abundance.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Maybe if I watered it , it would be more impressive. Maybe it is because we are closer to its line of marginality. It gets shorter and less floriferous the further north it goes. It is also planted in unattended hard packed caliche based soil. Maybe I should be nicer to it and it would be nicer to me.