Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Small pots near a fountain

cynthianovak
10 years ago

Hi all
What would you plant in smallish 8 inch pots near a big fountain. I need to fill this space and the pots wedge in, but nothing seems to be happy there that I have tried. This is part Sun, can get very wet. I've tried herbs and marigolds not realizing how wet it would get. Any suggestions? Maybe I should just fill the pots with rocks...but one more try if there are any suggestions here....grins. thank you c

Comments (12)

• whitecap
    10 years ago

Too much sun for impatiens? Carex "Sparkler" Sedge will take a fair amount of sun, and loves water. Some nice pics at Digging, in the entry Plant This: Sparkler Sedge Brightens the Shade.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

There are varieties of iris that like wet feet. I'll have to do some research to be sure, but I think I might have some that would work for you. They were given to me and may be Japanese roof iris.

Also I think lirope will grow in just about any conditions. Also consider ferns. Some little pots of maiden hair fern would be very pretty.

Another tolerant and colorful plant would be purple tradescantia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris that like wet feet

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:06

• gardenper
    10 years ago

How about a boggy type of plant? The constant moisture might be a nice beginning to turning those pots into a micro-boggy environment along with the requisite plants.

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Oh I just thought of something that I had read about before. I usually plant it in dryer conditions but it can handle wet also. I had considered it once for my pond area that I later abandoned (making the pond area, that is)

The Mexican petunia (Ruellia brittoniana or Reullia simplex -- looks like both take the common name Mexican petunia) might be a good fit there. It can handle the sun and the wetness that you describe, and even grow decently in some light shade in case you also have that kind of wet area.

This post was edited by gardenper on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 17:04

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Gardenper, that's a good suggestion! Also the dwarf Katie reullia, which comes in white, pink and purple, would bloom all summer.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are good suggestions...like that sparkle sedge...just looked it up. I've had the dwarf ruellia and did not think of it but it would look good in pots and take heat, wet and visiting cats or birds stomping on it. I used to have some here and there in my beds...but taller plants eventually won.
    Thank you all! c

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Cynthia, if you decide you want the Katie ruellia and want to dig, you may come over to my house and find a goodly supply.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carrie....I will keep that in mind. My only hesitation is the reality that these pots are very close to a bed where I do not want Katie. Hmmmmm One plant I do not trust to keep her seeds to her self.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I can bring some purplish and blue Louisiana Iris and either meet you 'in the middle' or maybe at the Fort Worth swap on April 26? I also have lizard tail and horsetail rush. They love wet feet! I have taros too that really do well with wet feet, blue stem, green and red stemmed.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Taros would look great there, IMHO, how tall do those get, Pam???? And, Cynthia, you are so right about the ruellia being well behaved with the distribution of it's seeds.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

The taros planted in a bog will get 2-3 feet tall, but in soil, just half that height.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

If you like the look of taros, Cynthia, this is certainly an option.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting