Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drift Roses

Posted by txjoyce none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 10:09

Anyone have any experience with Drift Roses? They're related to Knock Out roses, but are more of a groundcover. I've used Knock Out and old roses before and love them, but looking for something shorter. Wondering if Drift Roses would survive San Antonio?? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drift Roses

I haven't grown them, but I think Drift Roses would thrive in San Antonio. If I didn't have a yard full of roses already I would certainly try them.

There has been some discussion on the different cultivars on the Rose Forum. I searched "Drift" and came up with this.

Please give us a report of how to do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Several threads came up in search for Drift Roses.

o

I planted two in a raised bed last year and they're just about the only thing that survived. I'd definitely give them a try.

o

I have two. LOVE em. Good blooms, need very little attention. One grows in a raised bed next to a brick mail
box and the other is just "stuck in the ground". They will be 3 yrs old this year, are about 30" tall - max and a little wider. A NICE variety of color too.

o

Thanks everyone -- I'll definitely give them a try

o

I have 5 Drift roses (coral) planted in my north facing front flowerbed early in March, they're blooming, look healthy, and so far, so good!

o

I purchased two peach drift roses today and I am looking forward to replacing a section of my flower bed that I have always planted with annuals. I am tired of replacing/purchasing plants twice a year, so I am going to give these drift roses a try. I have many OGRs, but very few modern roses. The tag says to plant 2 foot apart, but I am wondering if they will spread wider than that. Any comments on the mature height and width of the drifts?
Molly

o

I had coral drift rose for the last couple of years. It does not get two big for me, maybe 2* 2.5 feet. It did very well the first year. Last year it was okay. Its doing pretty good so far. The clustered flowers are really nice when in bloom. I wud give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here