Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 10:43

I noticed Marshall's Grain has a selection of Clematis in stock. Probably just the more common types.
What blue or white do you grow that blooms a lot?
What's your favorite red?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:34

Marshall's Grain has Henryi and Mike's has Blue Multi.
I really like both of those.
For reds they had Niobe and Sunset.

Anybody grow either of these?

o

I have never been able to get Clematis really growing. I wish that I had some answers Ruthz :-)

o

Pam, don't know what to tell you. With your green thumb, they should be easy for you. I just stick the roots in the ground (full sun where possible), keep them watered and sit back and enjoy the blooms. Don't give up, they are well worth the effort. I am going to try some in a container this year to grow on the wall trellis by the back patio.

o

Pkponder, We originally had the wrong impression from things read that they'd need some shade in Texas heat. Found they are much happier in full sun after we cut down the fruitless mulberry they were growing on. They can linger and multiply even in heavy shade, but need a lot of light for vigorous growth and flowering. Imagine there's some variation between cultivars, but you might try a brighter spot if yours have been languishing in partial shade.

o

Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 13:33

pkponder, I have 5 or 6 and am hoping for good blooms this year. They are up and looking good so far.
Carrie, I have had Clematis Venosa Violacea in a container since I got it in May of 2012. It bloomed a little for the first time last year. I plan on putting it in the ground as soon as I drag stuff out of the greenhouse.
Our dog keeps digging holes in the ground and messing with mine is one of my big problems.

o

I have the 'diggin dog' blues too! I've had to move so many fragile plants from 'his' back yard.

I guess that I always thought that clematis, aside from the autumn (white) one, were better suited to cooler climates. Maybe the varieties that I chose were not well suited and I always had trouble figuring out the whole 'feet' in the shade and vines in the sun situation.

o

Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 19:43

Especially when I add compost and mulch to a bed, she thinks it's for her and starts laying there and digging her holes.
I think I have a bud on Rebecca.

o

I googled Rebecca and she is beautiful!

My dog is after the moles and digs trenches. He runs very fast through the yard, then turns on a dime and goes like crazy the other direction. Anything (including me) in his path gets trampled. I love him to pieces though :-)

This post was edited by pkponder on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 0:45

o

ruth, I've been trying and killing clematis for years in my Dallas backyard. My only real success is the old-fashioned Jackmanii variety, which has covered itself with blooms each spring and often has some fall rebloom. Also surviving for me, although not so vigorous, are Ramona and The President..

o

I am also trying Clemantis for the first time this year. It is whatever whitish purplish variety was at Home Depot this weekend. I need something to fill in where the Carolina Jasmine died. It's in full sun with nothing to shade the roots, so I don't have a lot of hope. I was going to say, "at least I didn't pay a lot for it", but after I planted it I saw the exact same thing at wally world for half the price.

o

I have had really great results growing Duchess of Albany and Gravetye beauty clematis. These are both texensis species and both purchased at local nurseries in our area. I do have some vitecella clematis that are also very good performers in the garden. Jackmannii has also done very well in my southeast Texas garden. Many of the large flowered clematis vines have done minimally well for me, but the texensis and viticellas are absolutely worth growing.
Molly

o

Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:17

ramdom_harvest, I do see jackmanii and Ramona more than any other clematis at the local nurseries. Maybe that's the reason.
lynnmarie, I don't think you have to worry about the roots, but you could always put daylilies or maybe liriope in front of it.
Molly, I have Duchess of Albany but I've never seem either Duchess of Albany or Gravetye at our local nurseries. I had to order mine.

o

I have been trying to find Duchess of Albany for two years now, and have even called nurseries to ask if they would order them for me..................no luck. Guess it just wasn't meant to be for me.

o

I agree that these nice texensis and viticellas are hard to find. I purchased the Duchess of Albany in a one-gallon at Arbor Gate in Tomball and the Gravetye beauty at the Mercer arboretum March mart plant sale. Plants for All Seasons in northwest Houston also carries some nice clematis vines Here's a photo of Gravetye Beauty growing through my Blush Noisette rose.
Molly

o

I have never planted clematis before and would like to plant something that covers my arbor and doesn't die back in the winter. So I guess my question is clematis evergreen? I don't want to have to pull all the dead vines every winter, just want it to stay green year round and bloom. And it has to be easy to find on a garden center like HD, Lowes or Walmart. Thanks for any suggestions.

o

Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:25

Carrie, I ordered mine from Brushwood nursery, but they're sold out now.
I have ordered clematis from Bluestone Perennials also, and I believe they have Duchess of Albany.
Usually they have a sale on clematis in mid to late May.

I wanted Sir Trevor Lawrence and Brushwood was sold out of it. I may try to find Gravetye Beauty instead. I like it just as much or more.

This post was edited by ruthz on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:56

o

Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:57

boncrow, clematis is not evergreen for me.

o

Neil Sperry lists evergreen clematis (c. armandii) as one of the best for Texas, but is not one we've tried. Anyone else have any experience with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen clematis

o

I suppose that is the one I have, but not sure of the name. It has all the characteristics of this, blooms white and is evergreen. If this is the one I have, it is a very large vine that will need a little pruning to keep it in check. The blooms are much smaller than the other clematis I have, but I really like this one a lot.

o

Molly, does your jackmanii stay green all year or die back. I also live in SE Tx.

o

No, Jackmannii is not evergreen. Clematis are pruned in order to produce more blooms and to "groom the vine. I have a Sweet Autumn Clematis which is semi-evergreen and I truly hate this vigorous thug. I have been trying to kill it for 8+ years. Its rampant growth is not worth the 2-3 weeks of bloom that it provides.
If you want a vine that is attractive year-round, Clematis is not a good idea, IMO
Molly

o

Molly, I'll bet that is what I have as it is such a vigorous vine. I don't mind it though as I have the room for it to do whatever it should want to do without too much pruning on my part. If space is tight, I definitely would not recommend this one nor would I recommend planting it with another climber.

o

Thanks Molly, I will find something else for my arbor then and put a clematis along my fence or side of the shed.

o

I purchased Dutchess of Albany from Bluestone Perennials in 2012. I plant my Clematis 2-4" deeper than they are in the pot. Dutchess of Albany is a group C pruner, so I cut it back to about 6-12" each winter. It has a dozen new shoots this spring and is just an amazing clematis, with almost leathery petals, very thick. It is definitely worth ordering, and Bluestone has a one year guarantee that they stand by. I have planted daylilies in front of my clematis, but they multiplied so heavily, I had to move them at least 18" away from the Clems. Any small, up to 18" in height perennial and 18" in front of your clematis will shade the roots and hide the root stems. I have also had great luck with SAC, it isn't invasive here, however it does need more room than most clematis. I have ordered two Sweet Summer Love, which is a red/violet sister to SAC. Clematis are so worth the effort they take. I have all of mine (14) on my south fence that faces north, they get afternoon sun and I have ammended my clay soil well with compost, I also add an inch or so of gravel to the bottom of a deep hole I dig, plus well ammended soil in the planting hole, for good drainage. Well drained soil seems to be the key to healthy Clematis. Niobe and Earnest Markham have been some of my best blooming performers. The only one I am having trouble with is Dutchess of Edinburg, only putting up one stem each year. I would not hesitate to order clematis, as in my very rural area, the local nursery only carries the commom varieties that I already have.
Debra

o

Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 23:39

Rebecca bloomed today.

o

I saw the most beautiful purple w/ white center clematis at Lowes on Friday. I don't remember what it was, but I would have taken a chance on it if I had a place to put it.

o

Sweet Autumn Clematis will come up everywhere and anywhere. I too have been trying to eliminate it from my garden, for a few years now. I've had the best luck growing Duchess of Albany and Gravetye beauty clematis in the DFW area.

o

We grew Henryi at our old house. Our yard was dappled shade from huge live oak trees. Got tons of blooms on the ones that got bright sun from noon until about 4 or 5 pm.. The others on the other side of the yard got some morning sun only but bloomed less.

Presidents also did very well in a part of the yard that was pretty much full sun. They didn't bloom as much as Henryi did.

Put a small shrub, or small rose bush right in front of the base of the clematis or place tons of annuals there each spring. Anything that will shade the roots will work.

You don't want them "on top" of the crown of the clematis but close enough they act as a shade mulch for the *** root system***.

The crown and stems don't need the shade.. only the roots do.

o

I have always read and heard from master gardeners that clematis should be planted in full sun with the roots shaded - which means use mulch over the ground to keep the soil cooler. My larger flowering Nellie Moser looks really pretty in the spring, but by August, the leaves are just about dried to a crisp. The fall blooming Sweet Autumn Clematis is just about the easiest one to grow and as someone said, they do re-seed - in places where you don't want them to grow. With that being said, they are easy to dig up, plant in containers and give away to friends or at local plant swaps. :-)

o

I was at Covington's in Rowlett this weekend and they had the most amazing Clemantises ever. If you want one and live in the Dallas area, they were stunning. I didn't look at the variety because I wasn't in the market for one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here