Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Plants

Posted by ibheri 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 10:49

Hello All,
I read a nice post on companion plants in the antique rose forum and was thinking about what we in TX grow for companion plants. Do you do seeds ? Where do you buy them ? Please share your experiences. I recently planted some David Austins and was looking for some companion plants. Some I have are Daffodils, Tulips, hyacinths, dutch iris, la lily, easter lilies, bearded iris (which Kathy mailed me), rocket larkspur,zinnias, black foot daises (which I added last week). I love the bulbs but would like the reblooming kind.
Looking fwd to hear about your companion plants.
Indu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Plants

I have a list here I've made up for my own yard. Info taken from various sources. I only included plants that are known to do well in Texas.

I haven't planted any of these under roses, as I've just got those beds going and haven't gotten to the under planting yet.

Blue pincushins under reds

daisies, Marigolds.. Lantana, Verbena

Mums, Salvias, Cosmos , Garlic chives,

Dianthas, ferns, peonies, moss rose,

Rosemary, yarrow, vinca, lambs ear, asparargus fern,

Bulbine, sedum, low growing herbs, (thyme), Wave petunias

this should get us both started.

o
RE: Companion Plants, more ideas

Check out this link:
http://digitdownunder.com/whatsup/?p=824

here's another thread that is older and where I got the bulk of my own list from:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0100035312959.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here