Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kquaz

Austin: Suggestion for fast growing everygreen shrub?

kquaz
15 years ago

I have a shared fenceline where the neighbor can look out of three of his first-floor window right into our backyard. This is the only privacy issue in our large backyard. I'm looking for a fast growing, good looking, everygree shrub that can grow at least 8 feet and easily be managed by pruning. Light conditions are speckled shade, as the area is directly under a live oak. I was zeroing in on waxleaf ligustrum (japanese privet), but wanted to consider others that you feel may be better for the Austin area.

Comments (18)

• jamiecrouse
    15 years ago

You could try a red-tipped photina. I'm not certain how they handle the shade but they are evergreen and grow fast. We have privet bushes in our backyard (I'm not sure if they're Japanese)and they're only about three feet after two years and don't seem to be getting much bigger.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

Bamboo, mock orange,chinese fringe tree (large variety, loripetalum something_, Pittisporum, buckeyes, rusty blackhaw or other virurnums, Cestrums(if it gets some light).

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

We have Red Tip Photinia in full shade under Live Oaks. It is fast growing to about 15' and provides a lot of privacy from the neighbors. It also does well in full sun. Be sure to give them room as they get big. You may want to layer a shorter shrub in front as they are fuller on the top and the bottoms can get sparse over time.

• bjb817
    15 years ago

Just a word of warning with the Photinias. They're susceptible to some type of blight or fungus that causes brown spots on the leaves and eventual decline of the bush. I wish I'd known that before I planted four myself, granted they're healthy so far.

Another fast grower, granted it doesn't like lots of shade is Oleander. If it's just partial shade, that might work.

• gardenergwen
    15 years ago

We planted several Xylosma Congestum in the summer of 2006 along a 100 ft expanse of fenceline in our yard. We purchased them from the Natural Gardener. When we first planted them they were barely 2 ft high. They took a year to establish but then grew *fast* and are now a dense hedge over 10 ft high (and we've pruned them!). We have them both in full sun and almost complete shade (under live oaks) and they seem to be happy in either condition - although the one in heavy shade is only 8 ft high but with lots of evidence of new, bronze colored growth.

Natural Gardener had them in stock on Tuesday. If you go in there - they have the Xylosma plants for sale under some Xylosma that they planted years ago. When we first saw them in 2006 they were huge shrubs. Since then, the gardening staff has trimmed them into beautiful trees. They don't look like much in the pots, but they are really beautiful, fast growing, and hardy evergreen plants.

On another note - the Xylosma didn't sustain any damage when we've had freezes here in Austin. I've noticed that our neighbors' Oleanders tend to be very sensitive to freezing temps and turn a bit unattractive for a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1339174}}

• pinkladybug4u
    10 years ago

We have about 140ft of fence that I want to put a hedge. Does anyone have a picture of Xylosma? Husband wants Privets, but I'm not sure about them....
    Thanks!

• angiebangie
    10 years ago

I was coming to post this EXACT same question, except that I have zeroed in on the wax myrtle but still considering the wax leaf ligustrum. I saw a beautiful hedge of wax myrtle this afternoon and thought it looked a bit more "Austin" if that makes any sense. I was actually going to do a bit of research on here to make sure that the wax myrtle would do well under Live Oaks.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Have you considered any of the yaupon hollies, especially the weeping ('Pendula') or fastigiate forms? Yaupons would look "Austin" and top out at well over ten feet. Don't know how attractive the male (no berries) fastigiate âÂÂWill Fleming' is as a single specimen, but would certainly consider it at a 2-3 ft spacing for an alternative to a running bamboo screen. The female fastigiate 'ScarletâÂÂs Peak' is fairly new and still hard to find in stock, but we're looking. While the generic standard and dwarf yaupon varieties have been rock solid performers for us, we've not grown any of these named cultivars yet - hopefully someone with actual experience will comment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly cultivar descriptions (Maas nursery)

• angiebangie
    10 years ago

I had no idea there were so many varieties. I've noticed a large bush with small leaves and red berries lately, and now I'm wondering if it's a holly. Which taller holly would do best under Live Oaks?

10 years ago

The yaupon hollies generally work in either sun or shade - not sure how well this extends to the named cultivars, but am guessing it does. Our neighbors have a beautiful standard yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) under live oaks in their large side yard and the dwarf variety thrives equally well at our current house in both morning sun and full shade - though grows a bit slower with less sunlight.

The OP was looking for "fast growing" suggestions which may explain why hollies were not mentioned previously. Noticed some of the named yaupon cultivars tagged as "fast growing" - but suspect this is relative to other hollies, not red tip photinia or bamboo.

If you want berries, either buy a plant while it has them or one that is tagged "female". Current dwarf versions don't have berries.

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

DH and I will be planting privacy hedges fairly soon and I've been doing a little research. Here in DFW where I am, a lot of the nicer neighborhoods have these tall shrub "walls" of cleyera. It grows to a max height of 20 ft. and 4-8 ft. wide and are good for screening/privacy. They are supposed to grow faster than some of the hollies, for example. Nothing against hollies in any way, though!

I've also been looking at elaeagnus. I find these shrubs really beautiful with their silvery, light green leaves and shimmery pearl white on the undersides. These reach a mature height and width of 12 ft. by 10 ft. However, this one is a full sun shrub while the cleyera likes part sun. Both are evergreen.

The privets are another good suggestion. They're tough but I've read they have a tendancy to spread and be a little invasive-like. Idk how bad they could be but I've read they do make very good privacy screens.

And then there's always Oleander. Very tough. Very drought tolerant. I've always assumed they like full sun but one of my books says it can take part shade. They grow to a max height and width similar to the elaeagnus. Don't need much water and are evergreen as well.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

ParadiseCircus, the elaeagnus grows well in my neighbor's shady yard next to mine. They grow really, really well with morning dappled sun only :-)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

They do, Pam, and the cardinals love to build nests in mine. They have such a wonderful fragrance twice a year when they bloom (very non-descript blooms, but smell so good). They do grow quite large at my house, but if you have the room, as I do, they are great shrubs.

• angiebangie
    10 years ago

Kquaz, I purchased a book a few weeks ago at a local nursery (McIntire's in Georgetown just off of I-35, exit 260) called Native and Adapted Landscape Plants by the City of Austin and the Texas AgriLife Extension. It was only $2 and includes descriptions, growth requirements, etc, as well as pictures. It has been extremely helpful in learning about plants that will do well in this area.

10 years ago

The on-line version the COA keeps at the following link may be a condensed form; agree it is a great resource.... even for those of us who don't live in central Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native and adapted landscape plants (central Texas)

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

pkponder- good to know! The areas in my backyard where I will be planting aren't all full sun so it's good to know I can plant them and they'll do just fine! Been trying to think of companion shrubs to mix in with them.I already know I want a Japanese maple and a crape myrtle as specimen plantings :)

• norcala
    9 years ago

I have photina fraseri hedges and they are excellent for tall privacy screens. They are in full sun and I never need to water them since they have become established. They take severe pruning without any ill effects and I have even seen them espaliered to less than 2' wide and 10' plus tall. I have mine at the bottom of a small slope and they still block my uphill neighbor's basketball court and light poles. I had a smaller hedge of them next to a fence which did succumb to that fungus/blight disease but that was only after my neighbor butchered a large percentage of the bush off that was growing over the fence toward the sun. They are much healthier with full sun. Summers here regularly are in the 90's with periodic hot spells up to 115. Winter lows regularly in 30's and occasionally lower. The only negative is that I find the scent of the small white flowers disagreeable. The foliage is of a coarser texture than the xylosma. The leaves being larger and thicker. Also the branches can become quite thick and sturdy which may be an advantage in windy areas. The foliage of the photina is a darker green while the xylosma is a brighter spring apple green. Both need to be clipped to keep confined as they will grow into a enormous mound otherwise.
    I'm considering replacing the hedge that died with xylosma to block the neighbor's view of our deck but would really like to use standard lemon trees. I need something around 15' tall minimum and evergreen. Has anyone ever tried doing this? and was it necessary to espalier them or will judicious pruning suffice?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner