Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluebonnets around Austin

Posted by ibheri 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:09

Hi All,

My family is having a get together coming weekend in Austin and have lot of cousins flying in from other parts of the country. I was hoping to take them on a Bluebonnet tour.
Please suggest popular routes or sightings around Austin.

Thanks,
Indu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluebonnets around Austin

Unfortunately the bluebonnet show is not great in the Hill Country west of Austin this year. We've had very little rain. I've heard that it is better to the east of Austin.

Your best bet would be to check sites like the one linked below for updates from various places. There are several other similar sites out there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower watch

o

Just got back from the Antique Rose Emporium near Brenham. There were tons of bluebonnets in that area, yes, east of Austin, around Independence. A great time to visit ARE, everything is looking GREAT!!!

o

Thank you for the feedback. I checked with the lady Johnson wildflower center. They said they were watering their patches so we will try and go there.

I'd love to visit ARE around this time of the year. We generally do a bluebonnet tour around Washington county, since we are in Austin for the weekend thought of doing a local tour around Austin.

o

I am out Hamilton pool area west of town, and there are NONE out here. We are dry as a bone. Hardly any wildflowers to speak of except blackfoot daisies. My girlfriend lives east on Weberville road and she is covered in flowers.

o

I'm seeing patches of Bluebonnets along hwy 71 between Spicewood and Bee Caves. Doesn't seem like a good year where I live. Wildseed Farm where I passed through Frederickburg had red bluebonnets last weekend. Looked awesome. Never saw that many red ones.

o

The area west of us when they get into the decomposed granite is great usually for blue bonnets. I don't know about this year. They have been low on rain too.

o

Just saw this, I drive by St. Edwards every day on my way to work, and there are a couple of beautiful hillsides on St. Edward's Drive-back side of the campus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here