Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsinthegarden

growing blueberries in central TX?

treelover
17 years ago

I've always loved blueberries and it really annoys me that the prices have tripled because of all the publicity about how good they are for you. I'm going to grow my own, if I can.

Does anyone know of a source near Houston or Austin (or between) for 'Sunshine Blue' blueberry bushes?

Other than acid soil, do they have any particular requirements? I've got pretty sandy, well drained soil, and enough sun if I carve out a spot for them in my front yard. Are they evergreen? I used to pick blueberries at a u-pick place when I lived up north, but never paid attention what they looked like in the winter.

Tia,

Carol

Comments (10)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I know almost nothing about blueberries. I've always lived in really alkaline soil.PJ

Here is a link that might be useful: blue berries

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Here is a Texas website about growing blueberries.

• michellesg
    17 years ago

I saw them at Lowes today but that was here in San Antonio. I think they just got them in too because they were on one of those tall carts and I didn't see them there last weekend. You might see if you've got them at your local store.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

My sister grew them not too far from you in the little town of Lexington, so I am sure they would do fine in Brenham.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Beware of buying any plant from Lowes. They rarely take regional climate into consideration when stocking plants. I bought some blueberry bushes from them and they struggled for two years before dying in our Texas summers. I later did some research and found out the type I'd gotten was a very vigorous and productive plant--in Oregon!

They were also selling raspberry bushes, another non-starter.

There are southern blueberry cultivars that can take our climate, but you need to do your research.

• michellesg
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, they'll sell anything in Lowes! Some great some totally destined for the mulch pile. I'm pretty sure they had the raspberries too.

• treelover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions and the links. Appears to be lots of good info there, although I thought peat moss was to be avoided.

I always take my plant book along when I go to Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Thanks again!

• roxy77
    17 years ago

I don't know if you are a fan of mail order plants or not, but Parks has a collection called Southern Highbush Blueberries that are *supposed* to do well in the south. I just ordered mine so I can't verify that claim, but I've always been pleased with the plants and seeds I get from Parks. Maybe someone else has these varieties they can comment.

I don't know anything about the variety you are looking for, but I may go google it.

Oh and thanks to who posted the article, it was very helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks

• angie83
    17 years ago

I got all mine on ebay they all sunshine blues and full of blueberrys now they in pots and then placed in ground my soil to was bad so I just plant the pot hehehe

{{gwi:62919}}
    These are just barley a year old and do great in these pots with rose dirt I only water with rain water they hate tab water.I bark muclch them to cover the pot rim but they love the mulch too.

• wayne_simmons_suddenlink_net
    14 years ago

You need to plant Rabbiteye blueberries in Central TX. Names include Britewell, Climax, Premier, Tifblue. Contact Bob Wells Nursery at bobwellsnursery@gmail.com, located in Lindale, TX, phone 903-882-3550.