Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat Soaker Hoses

Posted by whitecap2 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 11:50

Anybody had any experience with these new soaker hoses? They're said to be made of nylon coated PVC mesh, and they come with the promise that they will be replaced "free of charge" if they don't "provide complete satisfaction for the life of the product." I just laid out a couple of them, and they're very easy to work with, particularly around bends. It's hard to keep flat to the ground, but that doesn't seem to lessen its effectiveness. Seems to work very well. You have to use pressure regulators, of course. A little online research didn't turn up any negative reviews. The 25 ft. one was $13 or so at HD, and the 75 ft. one $15 or so at Lowe's. Can't find the 50 ft. one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat Soaker Hoses

I used one all last summer and it worked great. I found mine at Walmart. It is hard to keep flat if you wind it around but it is easy to cover with mulch. Check from time to time to make sure there are no kinks keeping the water from getting to the end.

o

I haven't seen these, need to check them out, especially with the guarantee! The soakers I've had in the past don't make it more than a season or two.

o

.....FREE OF CHARGE IF DOESN'T LAST FOR THE LIFE OF THE PRODUCT. Do they say exactly what IS the life of the product? Unless that's stated on the packaging, they could tell you after a year that the life of the product is a year....not free, and kinda expensive to replace every year.

o

Yeah, kind of sounded like "weasel words" to me, too. I guess they weren't comfortable with promising they would last "forever." I guess, ultimately, it would come down to what a judge decided the ordinary consumer could reasonably expect. Gilmoure is a major player in the garden supply industry, and I tend to believe they must think they have a pretty good product to make such assurances. Otherwise, they risk falling afoul of the legal vultures who make it their business to file class action lawsuits that result in millions in legal fees and 37 cents for each of the individual consumers.

o

So, Rock Oak Deer, how did they survive the last year? I'd be interested in getting them if they hold up to our summers.

o

They are still looking good, not brittle like typical soaker hoses. The nylon cover is a bit faded where it was exposed to the sun, but still very pliable and looks good to go for a few more summers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here