Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

You experience with shasta daisy?

Gardener972
12 years ago

How water hungry is this plant?

Also, can it survive in part sun, part shade?

Comments (9)

• debndal
    12 years ago

I had one, I forget the variety, several years ago that lasted for about 4 years in part sun (probably more shade than sun, but the sun was mid to late afternoon). It did very well for several years, and then one year it didn't come back. Might have been a particularly cold winter - I don't really remember. It didn't seem to mind just getting water from the sprinkler system twice a week and whatever rain we had. To be honest tho, I have tried them several times, and this was the only one that succeeded for me. Guess I got lucky with just the right spot and cultivar.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Mine is alive and well. I've had them in a spot beside my house for about 10 years. East side that begins to get shade right after noon by the time it starts getting really hot.

• susan75023
    12 years ago

I had Becky Shasta Daisy for years and still have some coming. I gave tons of them away because they reproduced heavily - they were in full sun, reasonably good soil and needed an average amount of water. I transplanted a few to a spot with half-day sun and reproduction is much less. Recommend this variety for good flower production and health - some of the fancier ones have not done well for me.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm undecided now if I should plant it on the east side of the house or west side. Hmmmmm...

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

I had some on the north side of my house. They did fine, but once it got really hot and I forgot to water it a few days, then the stem just seemed to collapse and the whole thing just fell over and it never straightened up. So I wouldn't call it drought tolerant.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

No I wouldn't call it drought tolerant either. I'm not sure how much sun it can tolerate either. I'd put it on the east side, especially if it would get reflected heat.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I have mine under hugh oak trees in a big flowerbed in the middle of my yard. They surround the entire bed. I alternate them with snapdragons. I had most of them for years. Some I lost when I had my knee replacement on June 1, 2009. The sprinkler system broke down. They did not have water for weeks, still some survived, but I lost at least 90% of them, as well as all my brugmansia, and Iochroma plants. They definitely need to be watered. Mine are all in shade or dappled sun. If you dead head, they will bloom all the way thru the fall. Barbra

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Mine don't bloom again after the initial bloom (which is just starting). After deadheading, a few of them might bloom again, but most of them are finished.

• denisew
    12 years ago

I have a 'Becky' Shasta Daisy in my yard that I got from a friend. It is an excellent performer and blooms well into the summer. I even had a rogue daisy blooming in January! My Shasta Daisy grows in full sun on the SE side of our yard. I absolutely love it!