Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

Whitefly damaging mature shrub, any organic advice?

PKponder TX Z7B
11 years ago

We have two of these shrubs that came with the house, no idea of their ID. They look different than the boxwood. I noticed that the leaves look stippled and as I moved closer, a veritable cloud of whitefly flew out. Yuck!

Anyone have any organic or low-tox suggestions for deterring them? Anyone know what shrub this is? It grows 'round'...as tall as it is wide, around 4.5 ".

TIA!
Pam

Comments (11)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

No idea what the shrub is, but when I've had a white fly infestation (they can explode into a large population before I've even noticed!) a couple of heavy (dripping) sprays of neem oil has taken care of it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Roselee! I'll check, I think that I have that in my box of goodies.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Yaupon holly methinks

• beachplant
    11 years ago

or a cherry laurel, does it have thorns? Berries?
    Whitefly are a huge problem. You can paint a board yellow, hang it in the tree, cover one side with cooking oil. The whitefly are attracted to the yellow and stick to the oil. Rinse off, repeat.
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Very interesting trearment , Beeachplant. Yellow makes me think of my mom. Is their any oils yhat works better than another oil. Does this work for nuisances like flea beetle?

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Natural Gardener recommends Organix or three applications of Neem oil a week apart. I think you are only supposed to use Neem during cooler temps. I have a terrible whitefly infestation on a rosebush and will be applying something this weekend.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look like Yaupon Holly but is completely devoid of flowers or berries. It's not Cherry Laurel for sure, the leaves are small, only an inch long and maybe 1/3 of an inch wide.

I went to the Aggie horticulture website and learned that whitefly are a food source for ladybugs and lacewings. Now I am wondering about neem oil or Rotenone. I don't want to do in any beneficials.

What would you do? I'm always so torn when it comes to the beneficial insects.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the cherry laurel in my yard had tiny leaves, it was so deprived of nutrients. I cut that thing down!

Any type of oil works, I use cannola cause that`s what`s in the house. It works for a huge number of insects, most are for some reason attracted to the color yellow. I really kind of gave up on controlling whitefly years ago, no matter what I`ve tried they have a couple of plants they like and they take over. Usually buy lady bugs in the spring and release those too.
    Tally HO!

• grinchis40
    11 years ago

I guess with so much whitefly damage you probably don't have that many beneficial insects around anyway. I'd go ahead and spray.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Me too. Agreeing with grinchis40 ....

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point, nothing to lose unless I don't act now. I've seen a few lacewings but really only a few.