Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenper

The amaryllis bulb-exposed idea

gardenper
10 years ago

Normally, I plant the entire amaryllis bulb in the ground. The only part that will show are the green leaves once they start growing in the spring.

However, this year, I read about the actual preferred way of planting amaryllis bulbs, which is that part of the bulb (as much as the top 1/3) should be exposed when planting. So I planted a few this way also, just about 2-3 weeks before an unexpected cold front/ice storm came through the area, pretty much all those bulbs are soft now (as if they are rotting).

I know that care should be taken when ice/snow comes but I had not previously lost any bulbs to ice/snow before without doing anything to protect them, so I treated this group the same also. I wonder how others plant their bulbs and do you protect them with plant blankets on particularly cold times, or maybe I was unlucky with this batch.

Some of the amaryllis bulbs lost their flower stalk or even what would be the stalk began to die in the bulb (before even fully making it out). Besides that, the remaining bulbs that may not have been making a stalk yet, are also soft and mushy. I don't think they will recover or if they do, it is probably a weakened plant for this year.

Comments (5)