Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine - Jasminium Polyanthum in North Central Texas?

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 12:08

Has anyone had experience with this plant either in ground or in a pot? I am considering planting it outdoors and wondering if it will handle our climate.
Thanks!
Nik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine - Jasminium Polyanthum in North Central Texas?

Its only hardy to zone 9.
I kept one in a large pot for several years. It never did bloom quite as nice after the first 2 years. It did grow like there was no tomorrow though!

I finally decided it was more trouble to drag it in and out every year than the joy it provided. It got too large for the pot and trellis, with little blooming so I let it go.

It will love our summers, but not the winter.
If we have a really mild winter and you mulch it, it might survive but probably not bloom again since it will have to start all over again since it will die back to the ground.

If you are young enough and strong enough you might think it worth dragging the huge pot in and out every year.

o

Bummer, I guess it's just a nice annual for me then (my dragging days are so OVER)
Thanks!

o

Sorry to hear that grandburyflowergirl.

If its still small you might be able to get a few years out of it though. Smaller pots are a lot easier to drag in and out. :)

When its time for the big pot that's when you can let it go. Until then, enjoy it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here