Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree suggestions needed

Posted by vuwugarden Central TX 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 12:28

Hello!

I'm heading up to Metro Maples this weekend to purchase a few Fire Dragon Maples, but wanted to check in with you guys to see if you have any other suggestions for shade trees that will do well in the Austin Metro area.

Shade did not come with the purchase of my new home, so I plan on getting a few trees planted this spring and more trees this coming fall.

I look forward to reading about your suggestions! Tree care tips are welcome too!

Happy Spring everyone!

Audrey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree suggestions needed

Just a suggestion. I'm in a no shade garden too. I planted a slow growing Maple and a fast growing Crepe myrtle. I did the same thing with the mixed hedge. That way you can have a tree without waiting forever or be stuck with a dead short lived tree down the line.

o

I planted a red oak and a chinquapin oak about 12 years ago and they are both very nice shade trees now. The canopy of the Red Oak is less dense, so the shade is more mottled. I also planted a Monterey Oak (also called White or Mexican Oak) about 4 years ago, and it has grown by leaps and bounds. It is a really pretty tree. I like it because, like live oaks, it doesn't lose its leaves till March when the new leaves push out the old leaves.

o

Since you're getting some shade grown, consider also foliage color. You may want to get a tulip poplar with its gold foliage to contrast with the reds of maples.

Here is a link that might be useful: katy landscaping

o

Some years ago, there was a tree on the property behind me, about 30 ft. tall, that formed spectacular, bright pink, tulip shaped blooms in early spring. I had supposed it must be a "tulip tree." I eventually learned that it was in fact a saucer magnolia. Seems odd that they're not more widely planted in Central Texas. A real conversation piece, when in bloom.

Another neighbor planted a couple of Monterrey Live Oaks about 10 years ago, and they have grown remarkably fast. He never waters anything, so I suppose they must thrive in arid conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here