Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liveletlive

fig trees in Houston area

liveletlive
11 years ago

Hello All,
My first post here. I am new to Houston/clear Lake area.
I would love to know if it is at all possible to grow figs here.
What varieties have you had success with?
I have planted a Satsuma orange so far and would also like to know from experts about other quick growing fruit trees
I am grateful for your help.
Thanks

Comments (7)

• soaht
    11 years ago

You might want to try getting some Texas lemon fig cuttings or plants, if you can find them. I recently got some Texas lemon fig cuttings from a lady in San Antonio, Tx. She said it was originally found growing naturally by a bank somewhere in Texas, so I think that variety should do fine for you. A lot of the southern state likes growing celeste and brown turkey for their hardiness and easy growing habit. There are just too many fig varieties to try and think of one that will do well in your area. Try looking through the fig forum and posting your question there also. Many fig enthusiast are there and will know which one is best for your area. Also try the figs4fun forum page ask them there too.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

never heard of lemon fig and I`ve lived in Texas forever. Pretty much any fig will do well here, they love our climate. Most of the nurseries in our area carry a good selection of figs. LSU developed a bunch and they are readily available, just do a google search.
    Come to one of our plant swaps, there are tons of people in this area that grow figs and will be happy to bring you cuttings!
    Tally HO!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

Texas Agrilife Extension has a good article on growing figs in Texas - see link below.

From what I've read, you want a variety that has a closed eye (vs. open eye). The varieties that I've seen doing very well here in northeast Texas are Texas Everbearing, Brown Turkey, and Celeste. You probably have more options in the Houston area.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Figs

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Relatives on the piney northwest side of Houston have a grapefruit tree that puts out a phenomenal crop. Unfortunately no cultivar name - someone brought fruits over from Florida that were so good, they decided to grow one from the seeds.

Other than citrus, our Orient Pear reliably bore fruit when we were in SW Houston. We had good luck with figs there, too. I second barkingdogwoods recommendation to look for closed-eye varieties - several options should be available locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston fig suggestions from Urban Harvest

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 21:03

• beachplant
    11 years ago

you better REALLY like figs here! Josephs in Pearland has a good variety, Houston Garden Center has a bunch, there is a big nursery on the north side of Houston, RC?, RCW which specializes in fruit trees and plants that do well in our area. See the link below. Sunland in League City usually has a good selection of fruit trees this time of year.

Any citrus will do well here, I have kaffir lime, grapefruit, satsuma, kumquats, lemons, key limes, pecan, starfruit and lychee in my yard. Prior to Ike had jackfruit, cherimoya and some others that drowned. Dragon fruit does well here but you might have to protect it in winter depending how far north you are. Avocadoes do great and produce abundant fruit in about 7 years.

If you don`t mind waiting Houston Garden Center puts everything to 70% off late summer and that is a good time to stock up on trees.

Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: RCW nursery

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Welcome to SE Texas! The Harris Co. extension service recommended fruit species:

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston Fruit