Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
random_harvest

Daylily Growers of Dallas spring sale?

random_harvest
10 years ago

Anybody here from the Dallas Daylily Growers? I've gotten some of my best daylilies from their sale at NorthHaven Gardens, but I don't see it on the calendar this year. Might they be holding their sale elsewhere?

Comments (14)

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

Please let me know what you find out. I freaking LOVE daylilies!!!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Lynne, get in touch with Weldon.

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, carrie, are Lynne and Weldon Daylily Growers?

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Weldon is....................don't know about Lynn. Weldon does a lot of hybridizing.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

I have a ton of daylilies, but I don't keep up with the names of them. I just absolutely love them. Any time I find ones I don't have, I buy them and squeeze them in somewhere. I'd buy more, but I'm turning vegetable beds into daylily beds and my DH doesn't love them like I do.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

I forgot to say that I've had good luck at the daylily auction at daylily.com. I only buy the "cheap" ones, but there are a lot of affordable ones. I got a bunch from a lady that sells them out of her own back yard in West Monroe, LA if you find yourself there.

• weldontx
    10 years ago

Lynne, I do have some daylilies that I will sell. Many are in large pots and I will sell pot and all ... reasonably! Haven't learned to post pics on here, but email me and can send some. Some of what I have a my own on others' seedlings that are nice. I will not be able to attend the Dallas growers sale.

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, Weldon, will there be a Dallas Growers sale this spring, and if so, where and when?

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Sale was in the Dallas News:
    it's tomorrow, starting at 9:00 AM, at Northaven Gardens.

My free & expert advice is to get there before 9;
    the daylilies sell out very very quickly.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Weldon, I would be very interested in purchasing from you, let me know! My email is on my member's page.
    Thanks.

• lees_turnings
    9 years ago

Is this still an active site all the messages I see are from 2014. I need daylilies of any kind reasonably priced. I moved here from NC where people in the country planted them along the roadside. I did too but didn't bring any with me.

• meslgh
    9 years ago

I was popping in here to ask questions about buying and growing dayliIies in Texas. I just checked North Haven Gardens website, and the daylily sale was last weekend. So, having missed that opportunity, can anybody recommend reliable daylily sellers online? Also, when is the best time to plant daylilies in Texas? I'm in Dallas, if that makes a difference. (My zone/location info isn't on since Houzz took over, anyone know how to add that back in?) And, what are your favorite neglect proof, look great even when not blooming, more than a pretty face daylilies for Texas? (I gravitate to the lavendars, dark reds/dark purples, and the dramatic eyes. I prefer round over triangular form. Spiders are cool. )

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can always be checked on the North Haven Gardens Events calendar. Appears the daylily sale was last weekend. Looks like Daylily Growers of Dallas meet there on 3rd Saturdays (of the month) at 10:00 and open to the public. NHG is a great resource if you are in the area.

mesigh, Welcome to Dallas. Added the calendar link for others. Grew daylilies in Houston, but not here - though think you should be able to plant from containers most any time. Have lots of choices - seems like the group could be a great way of getting local information if you're able to make a meeting.

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Honestly, meslgh I've bought a few online and never had any trouble with any of them. I think unless it is specifically for a cold climate, it's worth a try. Also, search for daylilies on pinterest and click through the pins to find the websites. And there's always daylilies.com for the auction. I think it is probably best to plant in the fall (someone else might have better information) but some sites won't ship them in the fall.