Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

2014 DCMGA Garden Tour May 10

melvalena
10 years ago

The Denton County Master Gardeners would like to invite you to the 2014 Garden Tour on

May 10 9 A.M until 4 P.M. This year's theme is "Kaleidoscope of Gardens", featuring five beautiful and educational gardens.

Tickets will be available soon for purchase on-line, at local garden centers and from Master Gardeners.

Tickets are $10 or $5 for a single garden.
Children under 14 do not require a ticket.

The event will be held rain or shine (sorry, no refunds). Cameras are welcome. Proceeds from the tour fund public educational projects and programs.

Door prizes donated by sponsoring local nurseries will be awarded.

Please join us and enjoy a day in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: More details and a glimpse of the gardens click here.

Comments (10)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm planning to go on this tour too. Some places interest me more than others of course.

(1) This Urban Farm of three acres has native trees and multicolored perennials that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Water gardens, hanging baskets and yard art also enhance this interesting property with many container gardens for vegetables and herbs, accessed by walking paths. Composting is evident in many of the containers filled with colorful tomatoes, peppers, artichokes, leafy greens and more than 60 varieties of garlic. A greenhouse also provides a protected place for starting plants from seeds. An outdoor living area provides a tranquil place to sit and observe this peaceful country setting, along with horses and chickens to complete this homestead.

(2) Prism of Tranquility Garden: Stroll through a kaleidoscope of gardens with many colorful rooms that offer a calm, relaxing experience. Nestled among tall trees are rooms filled with Texas Native perennials, many propagated on-site and include a pond filled with koi, a poolside resort, raised vegetable beds and cutting gardens. You will also find a rose garden with gazebo, a pergola and a metal tree filled with bird treats. In the service area is a 24 x 8 foot lazy-man’s compost bin and greenhouse. If you look closely, you may catch a glimpse of Arnie the Armadillo, Herod the great blue heron and Thumper, Bambi and Velvet who bed amongst the gardens.

(3) Perennial Pizzazz Garden: Pots of tropical plants and patches of perennial color will delight and dazzle as you stroll through this beautifully manicured two-tiered garden. A lush, tropical oasis awaits as you gather poolside surrounded by an artful arrangement of container plantings that create a riot of color and texture. The upper path reveals an eclectic gathering of both woodland shade and sun-loving plants. The front entrance will inspire you with a newly planted display of edible and herbaceous plantings. This gardener also practices smart water conservation and is participating in an ongoing, Denton county water consumption study.

(4) This Patchwork Garden is patiently sewn together throughout the years. A colorful collection of unique roses, hardy perennials, and charming garden art are woven into the borders of this cottage-like garden. The vibrant flowers and greenery beckon one to stroll, rest, and relax. Included in the garden space are dedicated raised beds for growing vegetables and herbs with drip irrigation and rain barrels. Various re-purposed items have been stitched in, offering a wealth of inspirational ideas that can add character and style to any space.

(5) Standing 50 feet above the surrounding countryside, The Flower Mound is 13 acres of wildflowers and native prairie grasses in the heart of the city of Flower Mound. In fact, the city itself was named after the mound, which is currently protected by the Mound Foundation, a non-profit organization representing the citizens of Flower Mound. The foundation has identified more than 175 species of wildflowers there. This area was part of the great American Black Land Prairie that ran from Canada to the Rio Grande and from the Rockies to the Mississippi. Only 1,000 acres remain of the original 20 million acres known as the Tall Grass Prairie.

• NachtSprite
    9 years ago

I've decided not to do the tour, but I will visit 3 locations. I was planning on bringing my sister but 9-4 would just drive her crazy ;) I hope we cross paths! Have fun

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You take your time and do only the locations you want to do. Stay longer at sites you like and hurry through ones that don't interest you or skip them even!

email me, maybe we can do it together or meet up for lunch?

• NachtSprite
    9 years ago

I thank you so much for the invite, but I'm also celebrating my sister's bday on Sat too. We're having lunch with the family. But maybe we can meet up at one of the gardens. I'll email you after work today :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Whoever attends -- I'd love to see the gardens through your eyes via photos ... :-)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll take &post photos of the ones I go see. Can't make them all though. Grand kids and football happening so my time is limited. Wish you could come on these tours, they really are a fun escape from working in the yard. :)

My goal this year was to have everything done by May1 so I could go on these tours and not keep thinking of all the stuff waiting to go in the ground at my house. HAHAHA! I'm going on the tours anyway! Yard work can wait a bit longer.

• NachtSprite
    9 years ago

How do we add multiple photos? I only took photos of Prism of Tranquility since my battery was low. The urban farm was fun too. Apparently it had a rabbit in the chicken coop that thought it was a chicken a dcmg told me, but this was after the visit. They had beautiful chickens and a very sweet border collie. I was sad that I only went to two, but it's better than none ;)

This gardener grew comfrey (in the pic I added). It's supposed to grow like a weed but it is said to make fantastic compost tea.

This post was edited by NachtSprite on Sun, May 11, 14 at 9:42

• NachtSprite
    9 years ago

The homeowner tagged her plants, but it doesn't do me much good if the pic quality isn't good enough to show the label :p

• NachtSprite
    9 years ago

Gorgeous koi pond.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post more photos, I was able to see all the private gardens. I took photos at each one. I did not go to the Flower Mound.

You can only upload multiple photos if you first put them on photo sharing site and upload from there. I use photo bucket. You have to use the link that starts with an "a" in the beginning for it to show up in your post.

Edit to add:

NachtSprite, I think the plant you aren't sure about is a Foxglove. Not sure which pink one it is but it might be:

Digitalis ‘Illumination Pink’ or Digitalis 'Illumination Flame' (Illumination Foxglove) -

I down loaded your photo and tried blowing it up to read the label but it was just too blurry for my eyes to be sure what it said. (My eyes aren't what they used to be!)

google images: digitalis pink and you'll see several kinds.

This post was edited by melvalena on Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:21

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor