Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

What shrub might I have confused with Stephanotis?

bobbi_p
15 years ago

Hi Guys,

I'm exploring various fragrant evergreen shrubs for use in our new landscaping. In a few places around Houston, I think maybe at Moody Gardens and outside the Willie's Icehouse at 249/Cypresswood area, I've seen a shrub that has small very fragrant white flowers that look like the Stephanotis you see in wedding bouquets/boutinerres (sp?). I've noticed the shrub has thorns.

However, when I just Googled Stephanotis, everything pictured is clearly a vine commonly known as Madagascar jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda).

Anyone know what the shrub may actually be? (It's not sweet olive or almond verbena-flowers are wrong.)

Comments (12)

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Hi Bobbi. The only shrub that I can think of that has white flowers, thorns, and is fragrant, is the white veriety of Duranta. Or maybe, Natal plum. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37046/
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Duranta erecta 'Alba'

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

You might want to describe the shrub to the folks on the Name That Plant forum and see if they come up with some more ideas. Having a picture of the plant in question is best, but they are very good at coming up with suggestions of what it may be with just a description.

Let us know when you find out what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

• knittlin
    15 years ago

I agree about the Name That Plant forum ~ lots of knowledgeable people there who could probably tell you what it is. But I'll take a stab at it here ~ could it be a Meyer Lemon? It's a shrub with thorns, and intensely fragrant blooms and leaves that resemble Stephanotis enough to be mistaken for it if you're not familiar with it and don't have one there for comparison. They're also hardy to the area you're talking about. If not Meyer Lemon, then maybe another type of citrus?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Wow, Knittlin -- that might be it!

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Cool! Maybe you could call Willie's Icehouse and ask them if that's it? Maybe Moody, too. For a positive ID. I know there area few more citrus hardy to that area. I'm no citrus expert, but I think most all of them will regrow from the roots if the top is frost killed, and if they do that they'll look shrubby. So it could be any of them?

• bobbi_p
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think BossJim might be right. Natal Plum looks right. Now I've got to swing by Willie's today (totally not on my route!) and take photos.

I know it's not citrus because the leaves are smaller (and I'd feel totally foolish if I missed that one myself!).

Thanks for the lead. I'll post pictures when I get them. If we can't get a positive ID here, then I'll post over at name that plant.

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Bobbi, the Natal plum is easy to identify by the thorn formation. The thorns are Y shaped and form at the leaf junctions.
    Jim
    {{gwi:1339883}}

• dallasblooms
    15 years ago

I lived in San Diego for awhile and planted Stephanotis shrubs in my (very tiny) front yard around the porch. (And yes, they were in my wedding bouquet in place of gardenias which turn brown if you touch the petals). The thorns are tremendous - my daughter got stabbed pretty hard playing near it, and they make it very difficult to maintain. The scent is nice, but I'd think twice about planting it, or anything that thorny. I think they are worse than rose thorns. Just my opinion.

• bobbi_p
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BossJim wins the prize. I think it's undoubtedly Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa).

I didn't take my good digital camera, so these are from my camera phone with no focus or settings, but you get the idea. They DO smell good. And despite those thorns this one has a nice, spilling/mounding form. And as soon I as drove in to the parking lot, it was very striking. I don't like thorns though...I was looking for something more vertical and evergreen though. Might have to keep looking.

Thanks guys!

The thorns that match BossJims exactly:

Thick waxy leaves with flowers born out in plain sight:

Spilling/mounding yet not floppy form (I think it's rather nice architecturally):

In the landscape at Willie's Icehouse on 249 near Cypresswood:

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Nice shrub .... vicious thorns !!!

• Karen816
    11 years ago

Hi Bobbi, I have this same shrub in my yard of my new home. Did you ever find out what the name of this shrub is. I think it is some species of Jasmine. I would appreciate it if you would pass on any info you have received.

Thanks Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: palmtrees4u@yahoo.com

• zooplantman
    10 years ago

Yes, that is Carissa all right