Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foundation shrub suggestions...please...

Posted by eggs3 77385 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 13:49

I feel like giving up! When we moved into our house 12 years ago, the foundation shrubs in the front had some sort of disease and we removed them. Since then, we have had no luck with new ones. Either the drought or sun or ice has gotten to them.

I need suggestions for something 2-3 feet high that is really hardy for the house side that faces the north. The ones on the northwest end really get relentless sun in the summer.

Am I expecting too much for something to survive heat, drought, and cold/ice?

Many thanks for any suggestions. I'm disheartened .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foundation shrub suggestions...please...

You're near Houston? Clay soil? Can you be a little more specific about sun and shade in this area? How "different" do you want to be? Are you ok with yearly trimming, or do you want something that requires no attention? How much water are you willing to give these plants?

o

You could do knockout roses.

My house faces north too and I planted lots of roses and annuals.
 photo DSC_6569.jpg
 photo DSC_6554.jpg

o

Without knowing some of the information whitecap brought up, my first thought would be to go native and go with the toughest plants on the natives list. I'm in DFW but just finished planting evergreen foundation shrubs last fall to serve as the "bones" of my flowerbed.

One suggestion (although not a Texas native) would be Wheeler's Dwarf Pittosporum. They only grow about 2-3 feet high and a bit wider. They're evergreen with a low, rounded, mounding and spreading growth habit and lovely shrubs. They survived the freezes we had in DFW and can take the heat as well. I only covered them when we were expecting ice but the other freezes, I didn't cover them. They've made it through with only slight damage to the tender new growth. I also find dwarf nandina really pretty as well as glossy abelia and Edward Goucher abelia. All evergreen, all fairly small at mature size (except the glossy abelia, which gets about 4 to 6 feet). I have these in my flowerbed and consider them pretty tough since they're planted in alkaline clay soil and have survived this weird winter we just had.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here