Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with 'Siskiyou pink' gaura?

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:01

This 'Siskiyou pink' is behaving very differently than our white gaura cultivars and am trying to figure out what is going on. Purchased in a 4" pot from a reliable Austin nursery last summer. It immediately shot up a two foot+ hard wooden stem from which it flowered... it was a monster. Figured soil may have been too rich in that spot, so transplanted it to unimproved space in the alley and was already able to pot a couple small divisions. It flowered fine until the first freeze, but never developed a rosette like our other gauras. Both divisions grew the same way with a single firm stem; one of which I kept alive indoors over the winter. The mother plant and division left outdoors are showing no signs of life, so believe they froze to death without a sustaining rosette. Anyone know if there is a trick to getting the remaining division to grow "normally"? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with 'Siskiyou pink' gaura?

I'm so sorry you lost the mother plant. I know the feeling. Did you try grouping them together? Just wondering if you watched the PBS Nature segment on how plants talk to each other? It was amazing! I think we clearly under-estimate plants. I've never seen a program so fascinating.

Here is a link: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/what-plants-talk-about/video-full-episode/8243/

o
RE: What's wrong with 'Siskiyou pink' gaura?

Sunnysa, This is pretty amazing stuff. Had seen it OTA before and appreciate the link for another look.

Didn't group them, but am guessing the problem is related to propagation. After thinking it over, seems more likely that I had three cuttings started in the original pot rather than a mother and two divisions. The leaves and panicles on each all grow off of a single woody stem (original cutting?) rather than out of the typical rosette. Maybe layering the survivor could fix this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here