Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_gw

Continuing drought

greybird
12 years ago

Here in Vernon, we remain in exceptional drought. We have missed the rains first on one side then another. We have had little relief, maybe an inch so far this year.

We remain in stage 3 water restrictions.

I sound so glum. But the outlook looks bleak.

Anyone else still droughty?

Comments (9)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Ahh, I'm so sorry, Greybird, I know how you suffered last year. So far in our little area we're out of the drought area, but who knows how long that will last. Won't take much to put us right back into it!

This warm weather is MUCH too early for me; I'm fighting weeds like mad from last year, looks like that's what I'll be doing most of this year.

Take care, hope you get some more rain soon!

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Wow. Sorry.

Omar

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I didn't know all the rains have missed Vernon. Every time I drive through I keep thinking I need to stop and get a cutting off a lantana in the cemetery there. It always looks so good and doesn't suffer from the problems my Texas gold did.

btw, I recently discovered the restaurant across the street from the courthouse, and can't wait to go back.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

That's bad.... sure will wish some rain on you. The drought map is much worse than it was last march.Last March 15th there was 14% Severe and up and this year it is 67% severe and up. We are still in severe drought here But around here the ground moisture is so much higher this march than last. It is a confusing thing and one realizes how fast it can change. But this is the greenest severe drought that I have ever seen. I hope their new forecast that I have been hearing people talk about is right and we will all get relief, even those that have not gotten it yet.

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have photos of last year and this year about this time. last year, there were no spring weeds and everything brown. This year, the hen bit is going like crazy, plus all the other weeks that did not germinate last year. But the soil is dry and dusty.

The clouds seem to be heading our way, then split or dissapate. We surely are getting some humidity, at least the last couple of days. Somebody close by must be getting a deluge.

I am thinking the La Nina inspired high pressure dome that was in place in pretty much all of Tx last summer must have hibernated here this winter. On the drought monitor map, the brown circle has remained since about last June.

On the up side, my roses are gorgeous with no prolonged deep freezes to burn the canes. It will be a fine spring flush for sure if the weather will hold.

The winter has been so mild, I worry about just how hot it will get this summer. Maybe average highs of 115, yikes!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I too am so sorry to hear you haven't had the rain that some of the rest of us got, but glad to hear the roses are doing fine and you're expecting a great spring flush.

I asked David and the turtles do a "nekkid turtle dance" for you when I first read this post. They are much better equiped for that kind of dancing than I am.

I just looked at the weather for Vernon on Underground Weather and it looks like you've got a very good chance for some rain the next few days.

I know how it feels when rain passes you by. I can't count the times when it's been raining cats and dogs while I'm driving around the city and when I get within a mile of my house it stops! I think my neighborhood gets half the amount of rain that the rest of the city gets. It's something about the lay of the land and wind currents.

My friend and neighbor Georgianne told me about the time when her son rode his bicyle home from school and was soaking wet when it hadn't rained. She accused him of riding through somebody's sprinkler. He insisted it had rained so she got him in the car and sure enough it had rained at his school a mile or so away.

Wishing you and the roses the best!

(Think rain!)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I hope thunder to the north and east of me will mean rain for you today AND tomorrow.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

You heard that too Carrie??? :)

From the looks of the radar greybird might have gotten some rain this morning!

Crossing my fingers.

• greybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vernon got about 1". We are thankful for that.

Chances are diminishing for tomorrow and the rest of the week. The storms are passing by on either side once more.