Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reviving a nearly dead tree

Posted by jamiecrouse 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 14:38

We have an oak tree (I don't know what kind; it is evergreen and has lobed leaves and produces acorns) that our HOA planted too close to the street and then moved late last fall. I'm guessing it was a few years old; the trunk is about 3'' thick. It hasn't done too well since we evidently didn't water it enough at first; it lost all its leaves and the twigs that I can reach are clearly dead. My husband was about to give up on it and remove it when it just started putting out new leaves all up and down the trunk, as far as I can tell none on the main branches. What can I do to help it survive? I'm worried about trimming the brances too much and I think it would look just like a pole. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reviving a nearly dead tree

It is a Live Oak, and the younger ones will lose their leaves the first few winter seasons, because it is a semi-evergreen, and not a true evergreen. As it matures, it will begin to lose leaves gradually, and replace them gradually, so that the fact it is doing so, will not be obvious, and it will appear evergreen.

That is normal for these.

o

Well I hope you're right. Unfortunately, I still think the tree is in distress as all of my neighbors' trees which were also transplanted by the HOA managed to keep most of their leaves over the winter. And I am worried that the new leaves are not appearing on the outer parts of the branches, which as I said are clearly dead. They break off easily and have no green core. Also, I have a live oak and it doesn't have the same shape leaf and doesn't produce acorns, but perhaps they are different types of live oaks.

o

The tree in question could be a Monterrey Oak. They have a larger and more lobed leaf than a Live Oak. They vary greatly in how "evergreen" they are also. I've noticed groupings of them where one will go bare and another will keep all its leaves.

I wouldn't give up just yet. Wait a few weeks and see what it does.

o

Make sure it's not planted too deep. Root flares should be exposed. For that size of tree, you'd be better off with 5 feet wide of compost and mulch to get it established quickly. Oaks take forever to establish if grass is allowed to grow up to the trunk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here