Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

Where to get a Grape Kool Aid Tree?

Lynn Marie
13 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a Texas Mountain Laurel in East Dallas / Mesquite? I've only been able to find seeds on the internet even.

Thanks in advance!

Lynn Marie

Comments (9)

• kbaird4939
    13 years ago

Have you tried Rohde's in Garland? They carry mostly natives and adapted plants and I'm sure I've seen them there in the past.
    Kelly

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

I've seen them in Calloway's or Home Depot a couple of times. You might be able to get someone to order one for you.

We're on the upper edge of their range for blooming, I've seen a couple sources say that I-20's the northern edge. I transplanted a couple from my parents' house and it's a difficult giving them enough sun to get flowers but still providing enough protection from the cold in the winter. And a late freeze can kill the flowers, as the bud stems form and set in the fall to open mid-March. They're a great evergreen bush, though!

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw them at the Dallas Arboretum yesterday and they were in full bloom. So I guess they will bloom here.

I'll try Rhodes, Lowes, Calloways, and Home Depot! Time to shop!

Thanks!

• kbaird4939
    13 years ago

I've seen them in native landscaping that the city of Mesquite has installed. They have done very well.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I found some a lowes in Burleson. Check yours or ask them to order some from another store.

• lorraine_iam
    11 years ago

Purple kool aid tree. Native to South Africa
    I ordered one a few days ago from http://www.anniesannuals.com/
    $8.00 $13 s/h .
    Psoralea pinnata âÂÂKool-Aid BushâÂÂ
    Psoralea pinnata âÂÂKool-Aid BushâÂÂ

Bursting into a traffic stopping display of bloom from early to late Summer, this South African shrub or small tree is a wonderful choice for a small yard and mixed border. Maxing out at a height of 12âÂÂ, itâÂÂs a very fast grower reaching 5-8â in its first year, with dense soft needle like foliage. Blooming in its first year, the large 4-5â clusters hold totally enticing, exquisitely shaded lavender blue and white bi-colored sweet pea like flowers. But thatâÂÂs not all! TheyâÂÂre sweetly scented ��" some say like grape Kool-Aid! Easy to prune into any shape you like, do provide well-drained soil, Summer water and a top dressing of compost once a year for a glorious show.

Annie
    Sun/Pt. Sun
    Avg/Low Water
    Shrub/Tree
    USDA Zones 9-11

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

Lorraine, that picture isn't a texas mountain laurel, to the best of my knowledge. I attached a picture taken of the blooms of a mature tree on UT's campus. Also, try Northaven gardens in dallas for a nice sized one. They are slow growers. GREAT and underused tree. Sure wish the bozo's who landscaped along central expressway in dallas knew a thing or two about native trees. We have dehydrated bald cypress.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

Why do these files erase when you proof and re-preview??

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Why do these files erase when you proof and re-preview??

You have to reattach the photo if you correct or modify anything while previewing... quirk of the current system. If you forget, you can just edit your post to reattached the photo.

Agree North Haven Gardens is a good option and will order if not in stock. Redenta's Skillman store is another to check with from east Dallas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redenta's locations

This post was edited by bostedo on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:49

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer