Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tejs_gw

Long blooming perennials for Dallas

tejs
13 years ago

I am a newbie to Gardening and I am planning to start with some long blooming perennials for my front and backyard. Backyard is south facing so gets plenty of sun through out the day. Front yard is mostly shady.

Any recommendations from experts on the best long blooming perennials for Dallas (Zone 7 ??).

TIA

Comments (10)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Roses are one examples. Checkout Earthkind roses. I much prefer Ducher rose of all due to much less thorns.

Salivas are good ones too.

Perennial Plants (http://texassuperstar.com/plants/index.html)

Texas Gold Columbine
    Flare Hibiscus
    Lord Baltimore Hibiscus
    Moy Grande Hibiscus
    New GoldTM Lantana
    Trailing Lantana
    Malvaviscus, Turks Cap
    Dwarf Mexican Petunia
    John Fanick Phlox
    Victoria Phlox
    Plumbago
    Mexican Bush Sage
    'Henry Duelberg' Salvia
    'Mystic Spires Blue' Salvia
    Blue Princess Verbena

For shady area with filtered sun - it's hard to say no to Encore azaleas (as long as it is in raised well drained acidic soil).

• tejs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lou_midlothian_tx

I got some Encore azaleas but I was not sure if they would bloom in my front yard as it faces north and the flower board is right next to a fence. So in the morning there will be some sun from east but may be the fence would block direct sun light on to the flowerbeds.. is that ok for azaleas?.
    Also how do I make sure soil is acidic?

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

Hi Lou
    I have a number of azaleas. Which Encores did your get? The ones I've had best results with or the Amethyst (purple) and the Salmon. I got Monarch and another orange and have not been as pleased. In fact...my favorite azaleas are the spring bloomers rather than the Encores.

That said, MetroMaples used to be an azalea grower. He says that they need pine. In fact, he says they get all they need from pine. I cut my Christmas tree in pieces and toss them under my azaleas. Have gathered pine needles too from those huge pine trees in our neighborhood.

I also like the azalea food from Calloways. It has many different minerals in it. Ironite is helpful, when that wasn't enough, I sprayed with iron on the leaves. They greened right up.

Most of all, never let them droop. If you see your azalea wilt and droop for lack of water, water immediately. They have a really hard time recovering.

BTW, I'm a new fan of Camelias. They seem to like some sun too,

My azaleas get morning sun. Had to cut trees back to repair roof last spring. Some got a LOT more sun but only a little afternoon sun. They showed it. The azaleas and camelias took it better.

Hope this answers some of your question. They do need some sun.

if you haven't plante the azaleas yet, you might reconsider. Yes, I do love them and I have them but...

c

• nana_7b
    13 years ago

For sun;

Salvia farinasia - Henry Duelburg ---> blue
    Calylophus hartwegii(Sun drops) ---> yellow
    Melampodium leucanthum(blackfoot daisy) --> white
    Salvia greggii( Autumn sage) ---> many colors
    Scutellaria suffrutescens (skullcap) --> pink, white
    Tetraneuris scaposa ( Four nerve daisy) ---> white

I grow the above and can recommend them. They all require very little water once established. In fact don't plant them where they get too much water. They are very hardy and only require some pruning now and then. Pretty much plant and forget. Most of these bloom March through November

The above are good xeriscape plants. You may want to read up on that subject.

Regarding shade I have only grown Aquilegia chrysantha hinckleyana 'Texas Gold' (Columbine) While they are hardly and beautiful they bloom only for a few weeks in early spring.

• campeador
    13 years ago

I have azaleas facing north, in light shade all day, and they bloom incredibly well. Since they came with the house I have no idea what kind they are (encore?), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the length of their bloom and the fact that they bloom in the Spring and the Fall.

OP, you might look into Loropetalum--a beautiful flowering bush that gives color year round.

I'll second the vote for sage. Ours flower gorgeously and require very little attention/H2O. Also, roses were mentioned. The price of knock-outs have come down and they're a good option for their low maintenance.

• tejs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.. This should get me going..

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

cynthia,

I have 'Ember' encore azaleas and another encore but can't recall the name. All are in raised bed on the east side so they get no hot afternoon sun. Metro Maples uses pine bark fines. I make raised bed using sandy soil, mostly pine bark fines (Landscape Mix from Lowe's which doesn't cost much) and greensand for iron and other minerals.

I am trying gardenia plants for the first time and they suffered some winter damages unfortunately. If they don't bounce back, I may replace them with other azaleas, maybe Indica type that grows tall enough to provide shade on the windows.

• sfmathews
    13 years ago

I would second the Fannick phlox. I have had it for years and it spreads nicely. I always have some to give away at plant swaps. Also draws lot of butterflies and I get the hummingbird moths visiting them in the evening as well.
    Susan

• cityaddict1
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody!!

The tips help me too.

-------------------------------------
    Dallas Forum

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

What kind of soil do you have and what is your Zone? Now is a good time to plant larkspur and poppies. They are annuals, but it will give you some good color time and fill the gaps as your perrenials fill in. I also like standing cypress for this. I also just love salvia regla. Salvia Augusta duelberg (Henry's wife, she is white), texas sage, And Salvia lolly Jackson and Salvia darcyii, salvia penstemonoides, salvia repens, Salvia romeriana, Salvia involcrata. I love my Salvias.