Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondegardener

Flowering Evergreen Shrub in Dallas

blondegardener
13 years ago

Finding a shrub to suit mine and my husband's wishes is driving me mad.

Here is a picture of our sad front yard right now. (taken about a month ago and since, the grass has gotten much greener!)

The plan is to trim back the smaller bushes in the front of the house to about 2/3rds or half of the size they are now and grow hydrangeas behind them. (about 3-4ft of depth back there but hard to tell from the pictures) The large holly on the right side of the window is being replaced with a Camellia we have already purchased. We are at a loss as to what to plant on the left side.

The hubs is hellbent on an evergreen shrub and I'm hellbent on something that's much prettier and flowers pretty nice, large blooms. Needs to be around 4-5ft tall and we would love for it to have a frangrance.

I'm in North Dallas, this area gets nice morning sun and afternoon shade and the soil is being amended/replaced with a compost/expanded shale/topsoil mix for the entire area. (we have thick Texas clay)

Any suggestions? We love the idea of an Azalea or Gardenia but both aren't evergreen here and the Gardenia wouldn't last through a winter like we just had. I have Googled everything I can find but without going with another Camellia, we're at a loss as to what to do.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!