Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone here grow Lochroma royal queen purple?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:33

I meant: Iochroma royal queen purple. Sorry about that. The edit feature doesn't let you change the subject line.

And who was the kind gardener that gave me one?

It came out of the overcrowded overwintering house in great condition and with buds. Now I'm trying to figure out how and where to plant it.

The internet says it does well in a pot, but will it be hardy? Some sites say root hardy in zone 7, other say 8. And some say hardy and evergreen in zone 9 to 11.

What say you?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for Iochroma royal queen purple?

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone here grow Lochroma royal queen purple?

I have a 3-year old Lochroma Royal queen purple that has been unprotected from frosts (except for leaf cover on the ground). Even after this very cold winter which included two "ice" days, it has come roaring back from the roots. I am in zone 8b.
My lochchroma is planted in a flower bed that is primarily dappled sun throughout the day. It has been completely healthy, but does not bloom repeatededly. I have had blooms in April and again in the fall.
Molly

o

Molly, thank you for replying. It's nice to know what to expect.

o

Wow, Ragna ! Please start one for me !

patty

o

Okay Patty, I will. The buds are showing the dark purple color. I just wish I could remember who, at the last plant swap, passed it along to me.

o
Roselee--RE: Does anyone here grow Lochroma royal queen purple?

Hi Roselee could I impose on you ? and ask for a cutting from the Iochroma? pretty please, looks like I will be attending the swap this year, are u going to the Rogiers park next week? I know for sure I am going to Balcones park. Please let me know. Thanks Marcie

o

Roselee I think the purple is called Purple Prince, the Queen is a bright pink. its just called lochroma" Queen" I have given cutting away on both of these as well as the ruby red, I purchaed them from Kratz Greenhouse online years ago. I have to cut them back every year, or they get too leggy. I don't remember if I gave you cuttings, but if you want some I can take cuttings the next time I go down, and bring them back.I have tried to root them, but could not root them in water, they need to be put in soil, and only the tips of the plants planted. I saw the video that someone put on this forum. Barbra

o
RE: Does anyone here grow Iochroma royal queen purple?

Barbra, sounds like I probably got the plant from you ... :-) Thanks for the name correction and the tip on how to root it.

Marcie, I sent you an email through GW. Looking forward to seeing you and everybody at the swap.

o

Roselee I looked up and there is a Royal Queen iochroma, the blooms are much smaller than Purple Prince. I called Kratz Greenhouse the year that these new 4 iochroma came out. He said that the larger blooms do much better in Texas. I bought Purple Prince and Queen, did not get the white, or the light pink, I think is called Princess. I have Ruby Red which has the smaller blooms .it doesn't blooms as well as the others. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here