Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurel13_gw

Suggestions for rocky terrain landscaping

laurel13
14 years ago

Will be moving permanently into my Canyon Lake home in June and would like suggestions on what to plant on an uneven, rocky terrain.

Comments (6)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Creeping phlox loves a rocky bed and forms a soft, mounded mass of greenery that blooms in Spring. I was just looking at pots of it at Lowes this afternoon and was soooooo tempted to buy some, even though I have no place to put it.

A tough Texas native plant that is really a pretty little thing is butter and egg. It has little yellow and white flowers that bloom all summer. It spreads by the roots and also re-seeds itself freely. The hotter and drier it gets the better this little plant seems to like it.

A shrub that will love a rocky, dry landscape is rosemary. This is a Mediteranean herb plant that loves a hot, dry location. Rosemary will get very large, and it also blooms in Spring. I like to pinch off a piece of it while I'm gardening and rub it on my hands. It smells good and seems to repel mosquitos. It also stays green all year.

Cheryl

• whitecap
    14 years ago

If this is a major project, you might save yourself a lot of grief by hiring a landscape designer. The ones associated with major nurseries won't charge you an arm and a leg. If you don't have an adequate irrigation system, I would hire someone to do the trenching, and do the rest of it myself. The folks at Toro, Orbit and Rainbird will be more than happy to help you with the layout.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I really do recommend a jack hammer as a gardening tool, or finding a neighbor that has one.

• mikeandbarb
    14 years ago

I would not plant egg and butter unless you don't mind having it everywhere and taking over the area. I planted it and have been fighting ever since.

Look on line for rock garden ideas. Wantonamara gave you a good list. Two more plants Rock rose, black foot daisy.

Barb

• hitexplanter
    14 years ago

Don't forget damianita and santolina to the xeric rocky conditions we have at the lake. I would suggest checking out Schumacher's Hill Country Gardens off 1863 as you are heading into New Braunfels on Hwy 46.You will find several of the above plants there on and off throughout the year. BTW the above selections are spot on. The butter and eggs don't spread here much due to dry conditions and the soil is too thin so it is a great addition round here. A fellow Canyon Laker.. Happy Growing David