Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Armenian cucumber

Posted by duke39 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 15:45

Anyone have any experience growing these? I am growing some this year and would appreciate any tips/advice on growing them. They are also called painted serpent and striped serpent. They are a long slicing cucumber. I am planning on growing them in a large container and on a trellis.Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Armenian cucumber

I had a friend who grew them a few years ago. Her's were in ground and trellised on cattle panel. These are really good cucumbers, hollow in the center and the peels are edible, not bitter at all. Regular garden soil with a healthy addition of homemade compost and drip irrigation. No special care that I was aware of. I am going to plant some of those seeds this year! Thanks for reminding me :-)

o

Ok..thanks for the response. I was told that they were not bitter and are a good slicing cucumer. And that they grow to be 2-3 ft long.

o

They are long and curvy. The seeds are in the hollow center, like a winter squash. The challenge is to eat it once it's cut! They held up well in the fridge with plastic over the cut end for about a week. Just one is a lot of cucumber :-)

o

I grew them years ago down near the coast and they were great. My only problem I was working offshore most of the time and when I came home to weed my garden I pulled them up by accident the plant was doing fine and putting on fruit even in the weeds.

o

I have grown these for years and find that in my garden they tolerate summer heat better than other types of cucumber.

o

Thanks for all the responses.I think I will be happy with them I have 2of these ready to put out as soon as I can. Hopefully next week when it warms up.

o

Thanks for all the responses.I think I will be happy with them I have 2of these ready to put out as soon as I can. Hopefully next week when it warms up.

o

They like heat, like a melon. This cool weather might not be what they like. They take a while to get started , but once they do , they really take off. I plant them once it warms up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here