Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

I just heard a hummingbird!

PKponder TX Z7B
11 years ago

I didn't see it but it was sure scolding someone!

I hung out one feeder :-)

Comments (7)

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

They should be here already, but haven't seen any yet. Will get my feeder out and put out my Hummingbirds Welcome sign. Also haven't seen any Monarchs yet. The wintering population in Mexico was said to be down 56% from the year before, so they'll be in serious dangerous of disappearing if this trend continues. Declining habitat due to development, fracking, drought, GMO crops, pesticides, etc. Am adding more milkweed in case any show up this spring.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Saw my first one Sunday evening!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I haven't seen any hummers yet, but did see a monarch the other day. First one.

One reason the wintering population in Mexico is declining is because they have been thinning out the forest where they overwinter. It gets cold enough to kill them now.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Reoprt from Flower Mound, s/w of Denton TX

Set out feeders on St Patrick's Day

Just had my first hummer visit!!! I was in the garage, pulling out plants and cleaning up the mess.... I had just finished blowing out all the dirt and debris and he/she flew in stopped.. looked at me ... chirped and flew off!

I'm so glad I have flowers and the syrup out!!!

They always come visit and make sure I see them when they arrive! This is so cool!!!

So far I've had the best 24 hours I've had in a long time.. the hummer visit just tops it off for me!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'm glad to know y'all are seeing hummers and monarchs. I haven't seen any of those yet, but counted seven swallowtail caterpillars on the fennel I always plant for them. I didn't have any cats on it last year -- not even one, so this makes me happy.

Melvalena, how nice to report on your best 24 hours in a long time ... :-)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

saw a hummer at my feeder a few days ago, havent seen it since the cold weather came back...

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

My first hummingbird of spring did show up by the end of last week, happily! It's been hitting the feeder often. One morning the hummer and a Black-crested Titmouse were both competing for the feeder...strangely enough, that bird likes nectar just occasionally...mostly it prefers the bird feeder, where it stuffs itself with birdseed. One Monarch seen so far...nectared in my yard, then flew away. No sign of Monarch caterpillars yet!