Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus trees no leaves-

Posted by flowerlover78 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 16:03

well I have a handful of trees that did not do too well with the cold snap, I did wrap them, however I think a tad too late. However- the trees are still alive just no leaves so far, I do have several of them growing from rootstock under the graft point. Do you think the tops will come back, I had heard not to give up until at least May- I do know that the trunks and most of the thicker branches are still alive and green. - what is your opinion? I did however have a lemon that did amazing and is full of leaves, also a key lime and a valencia- so there is just about 4 others that are up in the air, 3 of them do have shoots coming from under the graft. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus trees no leaves-

i had an orange tree. didn't get it wrapped in time. the leaves r all dried up. but still hoping. be eager to see what eveyone has to say. joyce

o

The graft top is the tree you bought. The graft bottom is a root stock tree that may or may not be what you want. It may have thorns. Do a scratch test. If the wood above the graft is green your tree is still alive. If not, you have root stock. If you have green above the graft but allow the tree below the graft to develope leaves it will choke out the tree you bought for the root stock tree.

o

thanks all- I know that the rootstock is not what I want and I know the tops are still green, I knicked them- I will just cut the suckers from the bottom and hope for the best.

o

My lemon tree also took a bad hit from the 13 degree spell. However, in the past week, it has sprouted fresh leaves on the upper branches that were still green. Probly not get any lemons this year, but at least its living. Its not a grafted tree, I got it from a local nursery that either used seeds or cuttings. Year before last it had 7 lemons, past year, none.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here