Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe myrtle question

Posted by janet_w TX 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 16:23

Crepe myrtle question I dont know what its called I call it (moss) growing on my crepe myrtle. Will that harm the plant? If yes how do you get rid of the moss stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe myrtle question

If it is actually green moss growing on the trunk, it is not harmful to your trees, and it is not only a crape myrtle issue. Moss will grow on the north side of many trees in shade and moist conditions, which is not ideal conditions for crape myrtle.
If you are talking about a white powdery substance on the leaves, that is powdery mildew, which won't kill the tree, but will look bad and ruin the flowers. You can search powdery mildew for options for control of that.

o

Also ball moss will grow on dead branches in my part of the country. It won't harm the tree either. If you want you can just prune out the dead limbs that are hosting it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball moss. Scroll down a bit for a picture ....

o

Thank you both very much.
Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here