Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia)

dragonfly_wings
15 years ago

I first saw (and smelled) these wonderful shrubs while

taking a romantic stroll along San Antonio's Riverwalk. I fell in love....with the shrub...and decided that I would have to find out more about them so I can use them in my landscape which is a couple of hours north in the Texas Hill Country. This shrub's hardiness is between zones 8-11 and I'm bordering between zones 7-8. I realize Angel Trumpets are, for all intents and purposes, a tropical plant (no freezing), and that to be safe I should probably plant it in a container that can be protected in the winter months. But I was just wondering if anyone has had success planting it in the ground in my area and/or knows of a variety that is more cold hardy?

If so, what is your recommendation for

variety/soil/location/sun/water?

http://www.directgardening.com/large/7475_l.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1340861}}

Comments (41)

• beachplant
    15 years ago

They grow great in pots. A lot of people further north will plant them out in spring and dig them up, cut them back and store them for the winter. Go over to the brugmansia forum for tons of information.

As to variety-most will grow great for you. The red doesn't like humidity so won't grow here in Galveston. You can get white, pink, yellow, doubles, variegated. I've found mine prefer a little protection from afternoon sun but then again I've got some in full sun on the deck that do great.
    When they get too tall just chop them down and root the cuttings.
    Post over on the exchange site & someone will send you some. I would but lost a lot of mine in Hurricane Ike so I'm rebuilding the yard.
    Tally HO!
    PS, they are VERY addictive. I had about 80 in the yard pre-storm. There is also a bugmansia/datura society. Just type them in your search engine.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Didn't realize there was a forum (or bumansia society). Thanks so much for the information!

Hope Ike wasn't too hard on you and that you are making good
    progress with whatever recovery you are having to go through.

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I've tried them in the ground here in the DFW area. They come back but it takes a long time to get big. At least it takes a long time for me...grins.

If you plant in a pot you can feed these hungry beauties without over feeding other plants. BUT they are thirsty too!

Tally, I'm down to 3: a pink, yellow and peach. Yes, they are addictive but the often daily watering if they aren't sitting in a baby pool lost its charm eventually.

They are tough and you can let them get pretty dry and then move the big pots more easily. I'm doing just that now. Plan to move one out of the livingroom tomorrow.

....you should try at least one that is known to be a good bloomer.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cynthia,

So they can freeze to the ground and they'll come back (albeit slowly)? I didn't know that. I'm guessing that if they are in the ground they should be on a drip system of some kind and in a fairly sunny location. Does the soil need to be ammended with peat or anything, or just given a lot of plant food?

• knittlin
    15 years ago

I had five or six in pots and left a few out this past winter when I couldn't fit everything in the greenhouse. There were three that just weren't doing so good, and I didn't have the cash to build another greenhouse, so outside it was. Just the other day, I noticed that one in the smallest pot was sprouting green leaves again! So I'll be planting mine out in the ground this year ~ all of them. I'll take cuttings to ensure I don't lose any next winter, but I'm looking forward to more room in the greenhouse then.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

I have them both inground and in containers. I find that the ones inground are blooming by June or July, but the ones in containers are blooming in the plant room now. They are much hardier than most people think, but I do take cuttings ---- just in case. They root very easily, and once you get them started, you will be looking for homes for your cuttings. The ones I have inground get cut to the ground each November (or before the first freeze) and mulched. They are sprouting now.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is good news! So it sounds like as long as you get cuttings in the fall then even if your original plants don't make it you can start over again. Are there any varieties that are hardier than others for this area?
    And what kind of soil treatments and feeding do they require (I suppose those in containers have different needs than the ones in the ground)?

Also, I'm curious why they aren't easier to find at nurseries. Anyone know why?

Sorry for all the questions!

• carrie751
    15 years ago

They cannot take full sun here in Texas. I have mine either in morning sun only or dappled sun under trees. The main two requirements are WATER (lots of it, twice a day in the heat of summer) and FERTILIZATION (twice a week if you want good blooms). Two that I have found to withstand our heat conditions and still do very well are Charles Grimaldi and Dr. Seuss. If you would like more info, please email me and I will share with you what I have found to work here in North Texas.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I rarely water mine. They will droop in the middle of the day even if well watered so I ignore them. They gotta look really bad for me to water them once they are established.
    Carrie is a great resource for you, she's in your zone too.
    Tally HO!

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I HATE the popup windows that come up EVERY TIME I change an activity on this site. Argh!

Beachplant,
    You really should have warned me about that Brugs forum!
    I'm overwhelmed by their warm enthusiasm and suddenly find myself questioning the whole 'abstinence' thing. How do you just say no to a group like that? But will they still love me tomorrow? Now that I've actually ordered my very first brug there's no going back. And I'm sure I will look fondly back on these newbie days and say to myself...."It's all beachplant's fault!" Hehehe.

Carrie thanks so much for the info and offering to guide me through my first steps. Funny that you mentioned those two varieties, because those are the ones I was most attracted to. I just ordered my first Charles Grimaldi, and am counting the days. I guess my first area of concern will be whether to put it in a container or in the ground, and then deciding what soil mix and plant food it likes best. I have some great dappled shade areas that I think it will enjoy, and I will put it on a drip system.

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I've had the best luck with Peters 20-20-20. I was frustrated for a while and asked different places. I kept coming up with the same thing. "...we use a commercial product but you can get the same thing with Peters 20-20-20"

I keep mine in big plastic pots that have attached saucers on the bottom. When I repot one this year, I'm putting a big ol' kitchen sponge in the bottom too. I gave one away in a big plastic pot a tree came in. It was happiest sitting in a baby swimming pool, but the water got nasty and was hard to drain out.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cynthia. I'll have to get me some of that 20-20-20.

Have you ever seen those 'self watering' planters? I wonder if those would be good for these water loving brugs?
    Here are a coupld of sites, but there are many:

How they work and what to look for -
    http://www.irrigation.learnabout.info/articles/76-self-watering-pots.htm

One company that sells them -
    http://www.cleanairgardening.com/self-watering-planters.html

And a link to a do-it-yourself self watering planter:

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Self-Watering Planters

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Nah, the self-watering planters stay a little too wet for me. I've never had good luck with them.

When I do fertilize I use either ammonium or a bloom booster food. The higher the middle number the better. I use the bloom booster on my aroids also.

You now have CHAD-chronic horticulture acquisition disorder. Wait till you go to the brug society website and look at all the pictures! And here's a link to "help".
    Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Country gardens

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Oh, you enabler, you, Beachplant! I reallyreallyreally want to get 'Wretched Mess' from them. And seeing how two of the brugs I left outside have sprouted green now and the third looks like it's going to (I dug around the base and there's still green wood there), I don't have to find room in the greenhouse for them all next year ~ they can all go in the ground. That means I can buy more! *BwahahahaHAHA!*

• vannie
    15 years ago

We have several brugs and winter them either in the greenhouse or in the garage. They do take lots of water, but when they bloom they are worth all the trouble.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hahahahaaa! Beachie Dearest, I'm really having trouble deciding whether you are friend or foe! Oh man, I've been at that site for the last 30 minutes and saw at least a few more brugs I'd like to have. If you keep this up I'm gonna put you in charge of cleaning the drool off my keyboard!

Never fear Knittlin, I'm going to be strong and hold off until I get acquainted with my dear little 'Charles Grimaldi' that's on it's way and then visit a swap or two before I order more.

Yep....just....going....to....exit....that....website....any....minute....now.........going to count to 10 and then..............did I say 10? That was a typo....meant to say 100 ....................................................
    ................................................................................................................................sigh.

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

dragonfly wings, you are hilarious! Looking forward to meeting you at the swap on the 21st. You can be head of the entertainment committee! Speaking of the swap and brugs (yes I am getting back on topic), Kathy (plantmaven) might have a Dr Seuss cutting available for you if you don't have that already. I got one from her last fall and it actually bloomed while I had it rooting in water! Pretty cool. You can ask her on the swap list thread if you are interested.

This is my first time with brugs as well, got three different types at the fall swap. Have discovered during the past week that they get a bit banged up in the wind we've had. Two drooped over pretty badly out in the open, so moved them next to the house and the leaves that were being "beaten" against the brick now look pretty sad. I'm sure it will recover as it has some large healthy leaves above the damaged ones. I have moved them out of "brick reach".

Tonya

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Dragonfly_wings -- could you please email me ? I've tried to leave a post for you here, but the powers that be erased it.

thank you !!!

I see that Tonya wrote just above about the brugs. I'll have to ask Kathy about that Dr. Seuss !

thank you !!!

patty

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay Patty. Just sent an email.

• Patrick888
    15 years ago

Country Gardens is a very reliable source of quality brugs. Be a little careful ordering brugs off the Net - there are some unscrupulous characters there trying to make a fast buck - almost the equivalent of puppy mills. Many unsuspecting shoppers have been sorry.

You can learn a lot & avoid a lot of mistakes if you read various brugmansia forums and the 2 U.S. brugmansia societies. Brugs are the most addictive plant I've encountered...you can put together the biggest "must have" list in no time and just keep adding to it. Once you have too many, you have to see whether you have the will power to say no to another one!

FYI, Dr. Seuss is one of the parents of Charles Grimaldi. They share a lot of similarities and are 2 of the standards against which many brugs are compared. They're hard to beat for reliable performance!

Brugmansias are demanding plants if you want them to do well for you. If you can't/won't provide the water and fertilizer they need, maybe you should just admire someone else's. You should see the big beauties Carrie raises.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

There are a lot of good sellers too. The brug people know them all. So if you see someone selling brugs and aren't sure, ask them, they will know.

I'm not sure about them being demanding plants. I guess it depends on where you live. They are the easiest things I grow. Stick a cutting in the ground and forget it.
    They bloom if I feed them, they bloom if I don't. They bloom if I water them, they bloom if I don't. They seem to prefer rain water and bloom best after a rain. Our water is very alkaline and so is the soil. They have survived drought, floods, hurricanes, salt water flooding, windstorms, cats, snail invasions-I call the bugmansia, dug up, sat in a pot with no soil and replanted a week later, left in the car in July, full sun, falls off the deck, shipping across the country in the middle of summer...
    Tally HO! The enabler. And drool cleaner upper.

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I'm down to 3 a yellow, a peach and a pink. After the rats tore up too many other plants this winter...again. BUT they left the brugs and bougies and a few other precious tropicals, I've vowed not to dig up any geraniums or begonias and just pack in a few more brugs next winter.

That said. Would you tell me the names of your favorite repeat bloomers? They'll live in pots, so would you tell me if that's where yours live?

I believe I've just rationalized starting with a few small starts this spring.

smiles
    c

• beachplant
    15 years ago

All of mine bloom throughout the year with the exception of the middle of summer when it's soooo hot. They are all in the ground with the exception of a couple in pots. They all stay outdoors year round. A little over 1/2 died in Ike, mostly in pots but some very large ones that had been in the ground for years. We had snow a few years ago at Christmas and they suffered because I covered them, the snow pulled down the blankets and broke the brugs. I should have left them alone! I have a double white that is a heavy bloomer, it was the first to bloom after Ike, not a leaf on it, most of the branches broken off and one lone flower. And I love the white ones at night because they just glow in the garden. There were almost 100 in the yard prior to the storm. I'm not an addict, I'm not an addict.....
    Tally HO!
    Will work for plants

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Patrick,

Yes, we'll see if I can handle the commitment, lol!
    I'm trying to hold the line at one or two brugs initially, so as not to get overwhelmed. Not that anyone around here or on the Brug forum has been much help with that!!! So many generous offers!

I've always been one of those 'gardeners' that sought out self-sustaining, tough, independent native plants that didn't require a lot of attention. Xeriscaping makes sense in a water shortage too. Or at least that's my excuse.
    However the brugs are sooooooooo seductive....soooo beautiful and smell soooooo sweet that I became smitten despite myself. And Charles G. NEEDS me! I was thinking that if I could just put him on a timed drip system that THAT would be the ticket to eternal bliss. Or it may be a short honeymoon...lol.
    BTW, I didn't realize that Dr. Seuss was MG's parent!
    Maybe I should name him Jr.

Beachie, my mom said I couldn't play with you anymore.
    lol.

Do they make a patch for getting off brugs?

Or maybe if I planted a deliciously fragrant magnolia tree I'd be able to ween myself off...

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Here's your patch!
    Jim

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Ah, yes, Jim, that is just the patch she needs. That is so pretty.
    Tally, it is probably the difference in the climates, but my brugs HAVE to have both water and fertilizer to perform like I want them to. I am sure they would survive under different conditions, but they certainly would not look like the pic Jim just posted without both ingredients.

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Oh, that is gorgeous, Jim!! What do you feed that thang! Amazing that it's so big and blooming so much in such a small pot. How big is that pot?

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

knittlin, it's in a 20" pot, and gets G.P. Miracle Grow about 3 times a week. That picture was taken on Nov.10th.
    Jim

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Three times a week?! Wow! I need to up my feeding schedule then. It's beautiful, Jim. Simply beautiful.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

I grew three types of Brugs in Hawaii 35 ears ago, or something like that. On a trip back to see my parents I took a cutting off a plant that grew on the ild Nuuanu Valley Rd. and smuggled it back to Texas ('76). people had never seen it before. People used to twist there necks severely as they drove down Deep eddy Ave. I grew it in the ground and cut it back and wrapped it on the winter cold fronts. It always came back and reached 6'-8' and bloomed. I had to mover it to the backyard because limbs were always disappearing, and I was frightened that I was going to get sued for a car accident. Deep Eddy Ave is a tinny narrow street. Oh, I don't live there any more, so don't go looking for the plant. Some one said to me that epson salts are a great fertilizer for Brugs.

• dragonfly_wings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim - That's just CRUEL!
    What a beauty. I wish we could send smells through cyberspace! I'm going to remember to get me some Miracle Grow.

Wantonamara - So YOU'RE the original brug smuggler who is responsible for getting us all hooked!!! Just look what you've started.
    Aren't you curious if it's still there?
    I read on the Brugmansia site that Epsom salts were indeed great for brugs once a month (1 Tablespoon per gallon water).
    Link below -

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia Growing Tips

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

Jim, that brug is gorgeous!!! OK, I have miracle grow and I can feed and water frequently....now, what I need to know is: Do you prune your brugs? If so, when and how?
    thanks,
    molly

• carrie751
    15 years ago

You can prune them at any time, Molly, just being sure it is ABOVE the "Y". A brug will bloom only after it "Y's". You can then start more from the cuttings by simply placing them in water until you see nubbies and they begin to form roots, or by simply placing them in soil and keeping it moist and in the shade until new leaves form.

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

Okay dragonfly wings, this is all your fault, now I have Kathy bringing a brug cutting to the SA swap for me.

Resistance is futile....

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pruning info, Carrie...I appreciate it. I have a Maya variegated brug that has never bloomed (about 2 years old) and I see that it has never formed a Y on any of its 3 stalks. Should I cut them back to force branching (therefore blooming)?
    Molly

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Molly, did your Maya/Sunset come from a cutting that someone gave you or did you purchase it from a seller? If the cutting is taken above the Y, it will take longer to form one. Most of my brugs form Y's soon after I pot them.
    I have also observed that variegated brugs are a litte more sensitive than others. I would probably cut one of the stalks and root it. I don't know if this will help the other two, but it certainly should Y this season. My Maya/Sunset is not one of my better bloomers.

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Molly, the brug pictured above, has never been pruned. It is a cutting that Carrie sent to me in the fall of 2007.
    Jim

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

Carrie, my Maya is a cutting given to me that I rooted a couple of seasons ago. I think I will repot it in a larger container, fertilize and water more and see if it starts branching. If it does not, I guess I will take cuttings of it in a few months and start over. Jim, it's encouraging to know there was no special pruning necessary to grow such a beautiful brug.
    molly

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Well, we're a bunch of junkies aren't we? Mine are all covered with buds right now. Even a couple of cuttings that haven't rooted have buds on them. I've got some cuttings rooted to go in spots that were left blank by Ike.

My "soil" is pretty much pure sand, very alkaline, the water is alkaline, poor soil, every test says to add organic stuff. This soil just eats organic material alive. You can almost watch compost disappear. We have constant salt spray, I'm only about 7 blocks from the Seawall and 1/2 mile from the bay. And we know I'm not good at regular fertilizing. So if they'll grow here for me they will grow about anywhere, especially if they get real dirt, food and water!!
    Tally HO!

• lakemans42
    8 years ago

Does anyone know how many gallons per hour (on a drip system) a 5 foot brougmansia tree in a 15 gallon container should take? Also, Should I use .5 GPH or 1 GPH emitters?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There are many brug growers in Texas, but if you don't get an answer to your question here you might try posting it on the Brugmansia Forum. since it is of a more technical nature.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler