Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Patio umbrella recommendation

rocks911
10 years ago

I'm looking for a good quality patio umbrella, one with a good crank mechanism.
I dont mind spending good money on one, I'm tired of replacing mine every year and tired of the cheap cranks that never seem to work as well as they should.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

We once bought one with a good crank, in fact, we still have it, but have a terrible time getting replacement canopies that fit correctly. It did us no good to spend good money on an umbrella with a good shaft, when the canopy lasted 2 years.

We went back to replacing yearly with cheap ones. Having said that, I look at the ones offered at Pottery Barn and they look like the might last but I'm not going to bother, personally.

• rocks911
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
    I've about come to the same conclusion, cheap or expensive seems to make little difference.

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

I have not had personal experience with them but I've been told Restoration Hardware umbrellas are of superior quality. Right now, I have a cheap allen+roth one from Lowe's. I've had it about 9 mos. Bought it last summer. It has held up pretty well. Been blown over several times, stood out unprotected and closed during freezes. I guess only time will tell how long until I need a new one.

Here's a link to umbrellas on RH's website--

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Umbrellas

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I buy the inexpensive ones at Lowe's or wherever I happen to find them (Sam's used to carry them, but only the super big ones now, and that is not the size I use). The less expensive ones last for two or three years for me depending on weather conditions.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

We purchased our cantilever umbrella about 4 years ago. The canopy has been replaced once at age 2yrs. Towards the end of that 2 years it was pretty well worn out. 6 months later we purchased another canopy so we now have 2. One for spring & summer and the other a different color for fall & winter.

My husband ordered it on line. (I don't remember where) Its a 10ft square one.

The replacement canopies we purchased through Yard Art Patio and Fireplace. They are not cheap, but changing them out is very easy and they fit perfectly.

The base is filled with sand and the umbrella has never fallen over, but it does slide a bit on our patio due to the slope and the fact I have some 'sliders' under it. About once a year I get some guys to help slide it back where it belongs. It only moves a few inches but is too heavy for me to do it myself. If I could get the sliders out I don't think it would move at all, but that would be much too difficult to do.

The brand name is Treasure Garden. I just did a google search and found them: treasure garden umbrellas cantilever

The crank still works great.