Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnieschneider

Heirlooms tomatoes in Texas

ronnieschneider
17 years ago

What heirloom tomatoes have produced best for you in the Texas heat?

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• suze9
    17 years ago

Hi, Ronnie. I pretty much grow whatever I want, but get the plants in soon enough for them to set some good fruit before the heat kicks in and destroys (denatures) the pollen. That means a plant out date of early March with 6-8 week old transplants. For fall crop, another plant out date of mid July or so (shorter season varieties).

Having said that, some favorites for production and taste might include:

Aker's West Virginia
    Arkansas Traveller
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Big Beef (hybrid)
    Black Cherry
    Black from Tula
    Camp Joy
    Carbon
    Chapman
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple
    Citron Compact
    Cuostralee
    Dr. Carolyn
    Earl's Faux
    Ethel Watkins Best
    Eva Purple Ball
    Gary O' Sena
    Gogosha
    Green Giant
    Gregori's Altai
    Jaune Flammee
    Kalman's Hungarian Pink
    Kimberly
    Kosovo
    Lime Green Salad
    Lucky Cross
    Lumpy Red
    Neves Azorean Red
    New Big Dwarf
    Orange-1
    OTV Brandywine
    Pale Perfect Purple
    Paul Robeson
    Picardy
    Red Brandywine (seed source is important)
    Snow White
    Sun Cherry (hybrid)
    Sungold (hybrid)

As far as slicer types go, my very best producers in the ridiculous and early heat last year were Green Giant and Aunt Ginny's Purple. Close behind were Gary O'Sena, Cherokee Green, and Aker's West Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2006 tomato pics

• jdwhitaker
    17 years ago

I agree with Suze's list (at least for those I've grown) and would add Porter and Porter's Pride (aka Improved Porter). Any small fruited tomato seems to do well, as they set fruit better in the high heat.

Jason

• prairiepaintbrush
    17 years ago

I've had surprising good luck with Brandywine.

• dftimes
    17 years ago

My wife and I were talking about growing tomatoes this spring and we love heirloom tomatoes. We have grown mainly herbs and peppers in the past. I grew vegetables on my grandfather's farm but that was a long time ago. I was wondering where you might find heirloom tomato plants in the DFW area (we are in the Frisco, TX area north of Dallas), or do you have to just start from seeds.

Thanks.

• suze9
    17 years ago

Calloways carries the Chef Jeff transplants - varieties like Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Brandywine, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Arkansas Traveler, and others. Other possible locations might include Mike's Garden Center and Redentas. You may even be able to find varieties like Cherokee Purple at places like Lowe's if you luck out.

Calloway's

Redenta's

(do a google search for Mike's to get phone #/locations, not sure if they have a website)

I'd suggest you call around (let your fingers do the walking) before driving to a bunch of places.

Of the ones mentioned, Calloways usually had the best selection when I lived in the metroplex, but that might have changed.

A good time to plant in your area would be the second week of March, subject to the long range forecast. You might have to take it to the third week if there is a night in the 30's forecasted. A little trick I learned to have good, early fruit and also extend the harvest was to plant several in containers starting as early as mid-late Feb. That way you have the ability to put those plants in the garage/shed when cool nights threaten.

Good luck, and I hope you find some really nice plants. :)

Should you decide to start from seeds in the future, Jan 15 or even earlier is a good time to start (too late to start from seed for this spring). There's a good FAQ on starting seeds in the tomato forum that I'll link to below.

A great source for seeds based on dependability, selection, and ease of ordering is Tomato Grower's Supply. Victory Seeds is another favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I start tomatoes from seed FAQ

• suze9
    17 years ago

I agree with Suze's list (at least for those I've grown) and would add Porter and Porter's Pride (aka Improved Porter). Any small fruited tomato seems to do well, as they set fruit better in the high heat.

I completely forgot about Porter :), yes, does very well here.

Agreed about the small fruited types too.