Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

herbs to plant now - DFW

liz_h
12 years ago

I know it's a bit late. Which herbs would do well if planted now?

Comments (5)

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

If you're planting seedlings, pretty much all of them. Cilantro, Dill, Parsley, and other early-season plants won't make it past June, but they'll give you a good showing. Basil will grow well until June, go semi-dormant, then come back in September. Most of the rest are perennial up here and will do fine planted in pots and brought into a greenhouse/garage in the winter OR planted in the ground.

What all are you wanting to grow?

• liz_h
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm not sure now. I thought it was too late for cilantro, etc. I want to keep this really simple, so I plan to buy a large self-watering container, and plant as many as I think will fit comfortably for one season. I won't try to hold any over winter. I'm looking at the Emsco model 2345D, which is $30 at Lowe's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emsco planter

• lucas_tx_gw
    12 years ago

My cilantro is already bolting and I'm on the north side of DFW. :-(
    Basil does great for me in a container in heat, rosemary loves heat.

Teri

• Gardener972
    12 years ago

My mint, thyme & oregano is doing fine but then again it's only March 31. I also have a cilantro coming up volunteer in my garden. With today's heat this early, I wonder what, if anything, with survive other than my rosemary.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I have a curly parsley I purchased at WalMart last year. I planted it below a rose bush. It did great all last summer, through the winter and is still going gang busters. It gets pretty much full sun, and gets the same treatment the rose gets.

Culinary sage also purchased at the same time.. doing wonderful. Gets shade until noon.. then full sun the rest of the day. Its been blooming for the last few weeks.

Basil does well for me spring through fall.

Rosemary planted in ground does really well with mostly full sun. You have to keep it cut back or it gets really huge. Once it gets too large or starts to fall open I rip it out and start over.. every few years.

Thyme, I don't have much luck with.. I guess I haven't figured that one out yet.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH