Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Datura

Posted by ladysmith94 Zone 7 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 19:26

Someone gave me some white datura seeds. That is all the info I have. I am clueless as to growing datura here in West TX zone 7. Are they hardy or do I need to replant each year?
Can someone steer me in the right direction?
This forum has been such a help to me in learning to garden in Texas. Thank you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Datura

If you received them with the pod and it was spiny, then its most likely datura inoxia an evening bloomer. To start the seeds its best to grow them when it gets warm like tomatoes. They are fragrant and moths like to pollinate them and lay their eggs on them. If theyre planted in a southern exposure they can come back from the roots but it doesnt hurt to cover or protect them

o

If it is, indeed, Moonflower as suggested in the above post, it is very invasive where I live. This is a beautiful plant, and you will enjoy it, but take steps to keep it from re-seeding by cutting the pods off BEFORE they ripen and burst.

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 13:14

I grow the double/triple datura metel and they have never overwintered for me. I have to replant each year unless I pot them and bring inside.

o

The native white ones can be invasive if you let them go to seed, I wouldn't handle them without gloves (spiny fruit and the whole plant irritates my skin). Also note that it is a very toxic plant. I grow them and haven't had a child or animal go near them tho.

o

PJ
I've had the same experience! My inferno strip has lots of plants and passing dogs love to check the P-mail and leave their own messages...not on datura! I think it smells like peanut butter (a friend mentioned that and now I cannot forget it!) but not appealing to critters.

Plant it where you want it...it's hard to get rid of it when you change your mind. It is stunning in the summer and grows where little else will.

If anyone wants some babies...I've got lots

c

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 1:58

It is an Amazing and Beautiful plant and will bring you lots of Please.. YES they can be a pain..LOL but once they begin to set seed you can put a bit of pantyhose or the such over the pod to catch the seed for replanting ,trading or just sharing.

Kylie

o

I have a white one called Datmansia (hybridized by a lady in the Pacific NW) and the blooms last a bit longer than the Moonflower, blooms like crazy and of course, that means LOTS of pods to cut off.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 13:49

Karma sent me a few Datmansia seed. The germination was poor I never got to grow them out.. I would love to see a pic if you have one.. There are several people trying to cross a Dat and a Brug..

Kylie

o

I have had one Datura Meteloides ( the western variety) It has stuck around for 10 years. I am in zone 8b but I think the last few years it was Z 8a. It is native to utah, Nm and Texas. If the seed came from the western variety then it should be hardy for the drought and the cold. There are varieties of the D. onoxia that are more for points east where it is wetter. I have found it easy to control. It is dryer here than east of here. A lot of things that are invasive in the eastern half will not necessarily be invasive in west Texas. I just dug up thje huge root system and moved it. There are some seeds coming up where it was but nothing that is not controllable. I would imagine that a pile of leaves will get the roots through till spring. They are late to bolt so have patience. the ground needs to be warm for the roots to put on growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here