Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kossetx

lantanas, signs of life yet?

kossetx
16 years ago

I need info please. I had all types of lantanas. crawling, upright, purple, red, orange, yellow, and pink and yellow. Should they be showing signs of life yet? None of them have any signs. You all had given me hope they would return, but nothing yet. I'm in the 8b/8a border. TIA, Mark

Comments (34)

• element321
    16 years ago

Mine don't have any sign of life yet. My parents don't have any either.

• sam_mocotx
    16 years ago

Mine are on their second year of blooming year round so I really can't help. Hopefully they will start showing some green for you soon.

Sam

{{gwi:1341359}}

• melonhedd
    16 years ago

hang in there - mine are pushing up thru the mulch right now, just south of Austin...

• birdbite
    16 years ago

My New Gold lantanas are just starting to leaf out at the base. Yours are sure to follow!

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I dug most of mine up a few weeks ago and moved them, so that's probably set them back a bit, but they looked alive when I moved them. There's one where I work that's already blooming - go figure. I think it's confused.

Sally

• sandradee
    16 years ago

No signs of life on either plant. One was planted last spring, so I'm not really sure when to expect it to start peeking out. The other has been in place for a few years and generally waits for a bit warmer weather on a consistent basis.

• carlyg
    16 years ago

I have some older ones that I transplanted a few years ago and their little leaves are peaking out.

• carla morey
    16 years ago

In the Dallas area here, and the Lantanas just started to show signs of life a week or so ago.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I have lots of them too and have only seen a very few that are spriging at the base ..no real growth yet...they love hot weather so they lag behind.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Early yet for most types but the purple trailing types is the most cold-hardy so depending on how cold you get and placement stays green year-round no other types that I have seen do at 25 degrees or lower. No signs of life for mine yet but ice on my deck yesterday morn and more likely for this coming monday morn so protect what is tender Sunday for y'all north of San Antonio. BRRRR again. Spring is just not quite here even if it says so by the calendar.
    Happy Planting David

• centraltexan
    16 years ago

Gold & purple trailing varieties are putting on new growth here in Belton. Nothing as yet from the upright pink bush plants yet. I guess they are waiting to make sure the frosts are over.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Been blooming a few weeks here on the coast.
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Oh, Tally, you don't count --- you ALWAYS have something blooming. Now just remember, we may send you to another zone ----

• denisew
    16 years ago

North of Dallas in Collin County - no signs of life yet, but I had to move some of my lantana a few weeks prior to that sleet we got a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if that freeze did something to them or not. They usually start showing sings of life in April, so I have a couple more weeks before getting too worried.

• lavernialadybug
    16 years ago

my purple trailing lantana has a few blooms already and not many leaves - very confused. The gold lantana are leafing out too.

• suzanne794
    16 years ago

Trailing is blooming spottily. New Gold, one plant leafing out from base and others still dormant. The Texas native still looks dead. Gardens are on the Guadalupe River between Seguin and New Braunfels.

• linda_tx8
    16 years ago

Just last week I moved the one that was trying to take over too much last year to a location outside the yard...I think it was a pink and yellow one. I did notice it was already showing just a little green coming up at the base. The gold one has a bit of green coming up also. But not the native one...it seems more cautious.

• kossetx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks folks! Last year I tore them out at spring break but you all stopped me this year. I'll give them another month to wake up. TA, Mark

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Mark, I had a light freeze and frost in my back yard this morning, so I am glad mine are a little slow to wake up.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Maybe we should use lantanas as markers to indicate the last freeze of the season instead of mesquite trees!

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

You're close to me kossetx. I trimmed down some lantana last weekend & found one little green sprout under ground - after I ripped it up. :(

• subu3rd
    16 years ago

Bumping this back up to see if anyone has seen signs of life yet.

• missinformation
    15 years ago

Our exposed lantanas are just starting to poke out of the mulch. The ones along the hot south wall have been up for a month and are already flowering.

• petalstx
    15 years ago

Mine are about 10" tall here in DFW.

• subu3rd
    15 years ago

Sigh

I guess mine didn't make it. Off to the nursery.

• brenda_in_tx
    15 years ago

Mine didn't make it either and I don't understand why they didn't. I bought replacements last weekend.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Most of mine did ok, but oddly I had two that are fine and another that was only a few feet from the others that has come up several feet farther away from them. They spread by runners, so you might try looking for it at 2-3' radii from where you left it last fall. Cheryl

• kossetx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

for me 5/20 came back. I replaced the with perenial verbena. They seem to work better for me.

• bellesandbeaus
    14 years ago

I was just about to pull mine out of the ground and replace, but am just now seeing a few little green leaves. Could this be my lantana just now coming up or could it just be a weed? I am just north of Atlanta.

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

are they attached to the root or wood of the plant you planted or coming out of the ground? PJ

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

My confetti lantana is about a foot tall in the back but only a few inches in the front. I still barely see leaves at the base of Texas Gold.

• txmom
    14 years ago

I had lantana that came up for 8 years straight and then my husband decided to rip out all our beds and redo sod and all.
    I have planted for 3 years straight now and none have come back - same sad story this year.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

My yellow ones are blooming.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I have two in one bed that have been up for a couple of months. I have six in another bed that are just now beginning to push through the ground that I had given up on. Go figure! Same amount of sunlight. The only thing that's a little different is the 1st set has a little bit better soil. I say - don't give up yet!