Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dabsabre_gw

starting a new sfg in dfw. advice please

dabsabre
11 years ago

I've literally just built my SFG boxes (3'x6') so I know I've missed the spring crops. I've got Mel's book but it's a lot to digest right now and I know I need to get stuff in the ground soon for summer.

We'd be interested in the following: asparagus (does it really take 4 years?), pole and bush beans, broccoli, carrots, swiss chard, corn, cucumber, melons (watermelon and cantelope), parsley, sugar snap peas, peppers, potatoes, spinach, strawberries, tomato, basil, chives, cilantro, mint, oregano.

I believe I may be too late for broccoli, sugar snap peas, spinach and strawberries?

My kids love cucumbers, tomatoes, melons, sugar snap peas and strawberries so at least looks like I can still get the cukes, tomatoes and melons in the ground for a summer harvest.

Do I have that mostly correct? I know squash grows like crazy here.. Anything else that's a proven winner for DFW that I may have missed?

Comments (8)

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Yes, tomatoes should be planted soon (have to use transplants right now), and the rest should probably go in soon after. I don't have any experience with the rest that you listed, other than NO luck with squash/zucchini. My cukes didn't do well, either, but maybe I didn't give them enough water. I've had good luck with hot peppers and most herbs, although the latter are typically in pots so I can put them in the greenhouse for the winter. Also had good luck with black-eyed peas and okra, it would have been better if the bed wasn't infested with root-knot nematodes.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Asparagus are space hogs. I don't know what the guidelines say in sfg, but I think I put my crowns in around 24 in apart and that might have been pushing it. The part I didn't know until after the first year is they recommend about 10 crowns for every person in the family that likes asparagus. You don't harvest at all the first year, lightly the second, and then can harvest normally the third.

Good luck with the beds. For me it's been a lot of trial and error. I usually don't give up on something I like unless it doesn't produce 3 times. There's so many natural variables you just can't control. Some years the stars line up, and some they don't. But it's a whole lot of fun.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

And I wouldn't recommend growing mint in anything but a pot. It can get kind of invasive and really hard to keep contained. But maybe that's just farther south. Someone from your area might have different advice.

Lisa

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I suggest you get some interesting trellis structures and go up. I love Sweet 100 grape tomatoes. The are indeterminate so a tall trellis really helps. You can use that for your cukes too.

My experience with juicey veggis near trees: There are hungry critters up there who love that you planted a banquet for them! You may need to protect you beds with a cage. I hope I'm wrong about that...

Basil is easy to grow, the critters usually leave peppers alone, but they do like to eat the tender sprouts.

I'll betyou could get some radishes going now before it gets hot.

wishing you the best garden ever
    c

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

There is a free seminar on square foot gardening in Athens on Saturday morning - if you're free you should drive on over!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dabsabre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah, I had planned on getting a trellis for the tomatoes, beans, cukes and corn so that'll save some space. just need to figure out how to incorporate that with a cage.

thanks for all the info so far. great stuff!

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Yes, mint needs to be in a pot as it spreads way too quickly and easily in a garden. I don't think we get cold enough to kill the root system, so the plants will come back from that even if the tops die back.

• princessamyron
    11 years ago

Greetings and welcome - I too am starting a SFG in the DFW area and just ordered a bunch of seeds and plants last month.

I have a bajillion asparagus Jersey Knight 'offerings' which is apparently plant-speak for a 'bunch of root looking things.'

Hubby likes the stuff, I can't stand it, so in that I have 25 roots, I will happily send a few your way, if you'd like?

You can PM me with your name and address and I will find an envelope and stuff them in.

Good luck - lauren in Ft. Worth

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths