Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

Was this a wasted purchase?

Ann_in_Houston
10 years ago

Before buying the strikingly exotic Fucshia plant in Lowe's, I asked some of the others standing around, whether they had ever grown them here in Houston. A couple of them said they had friends who had done it, so I lept. Getting home and looking it up, I think it will be about like a long lived flower arrangement. Can they handle our heat if I keep in on the shady patio?

Comments (12)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have never been able to keep one alive here in North Texas, Ann. I even tried bringing them in to a controlled environment, but they don't like that either. They are better suited for a cooler summer than we have.

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I don't know that it was a wasted purchase if you just want to enjoy the blooms/plant for a few weeks. If you planned on an addition to your patio or garden, it was probably a wasted purchase. That has been my experience.
    Molly

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

They are hard to walk away from, and I've bought them, knowing that I shouldn't. They can't take our heat. It should be illegal to display them in the garden center. Ha!

Just enjoy it while it lasts, and if you find a way to keep it going, please come back and tell us how.

Jim

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

My experience is the same. Surprisingly, it's my DH that can't walk away from them!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i suspected as much. Oh, well. I'm just a sucker for unusual looking plants.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Enjoy it as long as you can, Ann.....................

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

treat as an expensive cool season pretty.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We need "like" buttons.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

No flower arrangement lasts that long and rarely are they so extraordinary. Even when I was in Ohio they could not take the heat of late summer.

• gardenper
    10 years ago

I have also bought them several times, thinking that perhaps I did something wrong the last couple of times. But hearing these responses does my gardener's heart some good, knowing that I may not have been able to keep them going anyway.

However, I do know they are considered shade or partial sun plants, and being that they are in pots, you may need to water them every day. That might make them last a little longer than they could have otherwise.

They are supposed to be easy to root, so you might try making new plants that way, and putting them in all different places and conditions to see if you might get some to survive where you area (including maybe growing it as an indoor plant)

Oh there is one more tip I can offer. Many times, I feel that the soil which comes with these store-bought plants do not hold water well. Sometimes for some plants, the water runs right through the pot out the drain holes. They were intended to be sold quickly to the buyer, so the soil isn't some optimum combination.

You might also make it last longer if you were to repot into some better soil, especially if it can retain water better.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

they do great, until the first hot day, then they die. No matter what. They grow into hedges in.....San Francisco!

Enjoy while you can, they are so cool. I picked up 4" pots last year at I think Walmart for 97cents each I think.
    Tally Ho!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Y'all will be proud that I walked away from some lovely little pink and white ones, today. They were adorable and less than half what I paid for the one I bought. I asked the guy what the chances were that I could keep it alive. He said slim to none. Haha! Honesty! Rare from a nursery employee.