Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Anyone been to Wild Seed Farms in Fredericksburg?

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

Just found this on line, mainly for a seed source but see they have a nursery, too! Their online pictures don't show much out of the ordinary nursery wise, wondering if its worth a trip? Some great seed offering, by the way. But really looking for the potted perennials or the self seeding annuals like they offer seed-wise...not basic geraniums and such.

I am sure seeing their gardens would be great. (Trying to dodge a hefty shipping charge for interesting perennials on another site!)

Comments (12)

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

if you've never been, you should. The best time is when the fields are in bloom - it's, frankly, pretty spectacular. The nursery is good too and they have a country store-like giftshop. Plus it's right across the highway from Fall Creek Vineyards, so if you like wine, you're in luck!

Spring is a great time to take 281 down from Dallas to the Hill Country. Wild flowers, Wild Seed Farms, Texas Wine Trail, a little shopping while it's still cool in Fredericksburg and a nice B&B for the evening. Great getaway! :)

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

Well worth the trip. I went last year and bought lots of seeds only cause I do really well at seed planting. Great place but going down for 1 day just doesn't do it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I normally but my native seeds from Native American seed in Junction Tx.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native American seed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Even when the fields are not in full bloom there
    is usually something growing and blooming
    out there plus there is a lot to see otherwise.
    As well as the really nice gift shop and their
    seeds they have a large nursery with lots of
    plants and pots, display gardens like a
    butterfly garden, fountains and water fall.
    They were working on more display gardens when I
    was there a couple of years ago. Here's some pictures
    I took.

After I was there a friend told me they have discounted chipped pot section. I missed it. .

There's lots to do, see, buy, and eat in downtown Fredericksburg also. I'd say it's definitely worth the trip.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

I think the trip would be worth it. As others said the fields in bloom are just beautiful. If you time it when Becker Vineyard's lavender fields are in bloom it's a double win.

Lisa

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

A stroll down memory lane...

Anyone remember the two huge fields of red poppies before it became a tourist stop? As a kid, on our way from Austin to Kerrville to take care of my great-aunt, we used to stop and take pictures. Then is was nothing but a beautiful sea of red poppies behind some barbed wire fence. Now, it's an amazing site to see- the owners have done an incredible job at growing their business, and the trip is definitely worth a weekend trip along with the Texas Wine Trail. Plus they have live music some nights and an outdoor dance floor.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Also when we were there on a weekend they were serving delicious barbque out of a chuck wagon on the grounds. The plate included home made biscuits. There were picnic tables under big trees to eat on.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

A thought promted by Civils mention of poppies. It seems their wildflowers would be blooming now and on into April. Being irrigated it will probably be the best wild flower show around. You could call and ask them what's blooming in their fields.

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did call and it sounds lovely! They said they don't grow all their seeds for sale in the nursery as they don't transplant well. Which kinda makes sense. Really nice people there. She did say they have bluebonnets and poppies.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

They must of gotten a lot larger since they left Eagle Lake.

• seamommy
    10 years ago

It's a great place to visit because of the flowers, but also because Fredericksburg is a wonderful little town. There are great shops and restaurants there, the winery close by. But try to go during the week, the weekends in warm weather can be very crowded.

• denisew
    10 years ago

It has been several years since I was there, but when I was the fields of cosmos were in bloom and it was very pretty. The nursery and gift shop are pretty cool too.