Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone been to Wild Seed Farms in Fredericksburg?

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 20:24

Just found this on line, mainly for a seed source but see they have a nursery, too! Their online pictures don't show much out of the ordinary nursery wise, wondering if its worth a trip? Some great seed offering, by the way. But really looking for the potted perennials or the self seeding annuals like they offer seed-wise...not basic geraniums and such.

I am sure seeing their gardens would be great. (Trying to dodge a hefty shipping charge for interesting perennials on another site!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone been to Wild Seed Farms in Fredericksburg?

if you've never been, you should. The best time is when the fields are in bloom - it's, frankly, pretty spectacular. The nursery is good too and they have a country store-like giftshop. Plus it's right across the highway from Fall Creek Vineyards, so if you like wine, you're in luck!

Spring is a great time to take 281 down from Dallas to the Hill Country. Wild flowers, Wild Seed Farms, Texas Wine Trail, a little shopping while it's still cool in Fredericksburg and a nice B&B for the evening. Great getaway! :)

o

Well worth the trip. I went last year and bought lots of seeds only cause I do really well at seed planting. Great place but going down for 1 day just doesn't do it.

o

I normally but my native seeds from Native American seed in Junction Tx.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native American seed.

o

Even when the fields are not in full bloom there
is usually something growing and blooming
out there plus there is a lot to see otherwise.
As well as the really nice gift shop and their
seeds they have a large nursery with lots of
plants and pots, display gardens like a
butterfly garden, fountains and water fall.
They were working on more display gardens when I
was there a couple of years ago. Here's some pictures
I took.

photo WildSeedFarms4-111069.jpg

photo WildSeedFarms4-111062.jpg

photo WAcresofPotsWildSeed.jpg

photo WildseedFarms1063.jpg

After I was there a friend told me they have discounted chipped pot section. I missed it. .

There's lots to do, see, buy, and eat in downtown Fredericksburg also. I'd say it's definitely worth the trip.

o

I think the trip would be worth it. As others said the fields in bloom are just beautiful. If you time it when Becker Vineyard's lavender fields are in bloom it's a double win.

Lisa

o

A stroll down memory lane...

Anyone remember the two huge fields of red poppies before it became a tourist stop? As a kid, on our way from Austin to Kerrville to take care of my great-aunt, we used to stop and take pictures. Then is was nothing but a beautiful sea of red poppies behind some barbed wire fence. Now, it's an amazing site to see- the owners have done an incredible job at growing their business, and the trip is definitely worth a weekend trip along with the Texas Wine Trail. Plus they have live music some nights and an outdoor dance floor.

o

Also when we were there on a weekend they were serving delicious barbque out of a chuck wagon on the grounds. The plate included home made biscuits. There were picnic tables under big trees to eat on.

o

A thought promted by Civils mention of poppies. It seems their wildflowers would be blooming now and on into April. Being irrigated it will probably be the best wild flower show around. You could call and ask them what's blooming in their fields.

o

I did call and it sounds lovely! They said they don't grow all their seeds for sale in the nursery as they don't transplant well. Which kinda makes sense. Really nice people there. She did say they have bluebonnets and poppies.

o

They must of gotten a lot larger since they left Eagle Lake.

o

It's a great place to visit because of the flowers, but also because Fredericksburg is a wonderful little town. There are great shops and restaurants there, the winery close by. But try to go during the week, the weekends in warm weather can be very crowded.

o

It has been several years since I was there, but when I was the fields of cosmos were in bloom and it was very pretty. The nursery and gift shop are pretty cool too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here